Skip to main content

Promise Last Soccer Stuff til the World Cup

I wholly enjoyed the Champions League final yesterday however I was disappointed with the result, I tend to root for any English squad in the champions League and it would have been a major upset if Arsenal who built a 1-0 lead after their goally was ejected and they played one man down could have held on.

Here are just a few points about the match that I thought while watching it:

Things That Soccer has that American Sports Do Not

1) Soccer has the greatest flow of any sport. There are no timeouts, there is no play stoppage between innings or the incredibly annoying commercial break between every punt kickoff score in football. No 45 minutes straight. Than a half time, then 45 more minutes straight.

Note: Listening to the radio I heard a person complaining about stoppage time (the extra time they put after the clock hits 45 and 90). Basically if you knew the game this wouldn't bother you. He said things along the lines what if in a football game the clock struck zero and then you just decided that USC should get the ball. Well the clock doesn't stop, so when players get hurt you don't want to penalize the fans or teams time on the clock.

2) This is the biggest Sporting Event in Europe, again other than the World Cup, yet with the exception of the of a little opening song and dance they treat it exactly as it is, a soccer match. There is no difference between the way the game is played or called. There are no longer commercial breaks, there are no commercial breaks. And this is what really appealed to me, half time was the normal halftime length. Not like the Superbowl where every year they run out some washed up old star, or stupid pop stars that you don't care about and you sit there forever waiting for the game to start back up. Nope 15 minutes and they are back on.

Things in Soccer similar to American Sports

1) Soccer has flow, but it still is a highlight driven sport. The stuff they can do is amazing and is very similar to a baseball game, sit there for awhile and you are eventually going to see something that makes you go wow. If you ever get the chance watch World Soccer Report, or something like that, on MSG on the weekends. Its a good watch.

2) Each team even though it has several World Class players usually has a star that the cameras will focus on. Yesterday it was France's Henry and Brazil's Ronaldinho. Both underperformed with Henry missing two to three glorious goal chances.

Things that Americans would have a hard time excepting

1) Red Cards - It's not the ejection portion of the red card, its the playing one man down for the rest of the game part. If you watched yesterday Arsenal's goaltender got a red card in the 20th minute. Meaning for 70+ minutes they played one man down. I understand getting kicked out, happens in every American sport, but that basically dropped it from a 50/50 game to 20/80 in favor of Barcelona. Seems a little steep to me for simply tripping a player.

2) The Flop/Acting - You see it in American sports now, mostly basketball. But its no where near as important a move as it is in soccer. Yesterday, Arsenal's forward blatantly flopped outside the box leading to a free kick and their only goal. Basically, it was incredibly cheap, and seeing people get stuff they don't necessarily deserve annoys Americans. (The Header for the Goal was phenomenal though)

3) Camaraderie - We like to see a little grudge at the end of the game. Sure the trading jerseys is cool for players collections. But we want to see a little more venom a little more anger a little more bitterness when you lose such an important game.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Even though I always watch the World Cup when it comes around, I genuinely dislike soccer in general. I, like most Americans, just don't get it. I mean, I GET it, but how people can be so rabid about it completely escapes me. The one major problem I have is that frankly, it's boring. I'm sorry, but any sport in which the most likely outcome of any given game is a tie, that sucks, and I have little doubt that most Americans feel exactly the same way. Granted, I will admit that the goals can be spectacular, but it just seems like a waste of my time to sit through 89 minutes of back and forth nothing to get to the one minute of good action. Yeah, I get it that it's about the anticipation and suspense, but that alone cannot hook me on it.

However, and contrary to what you wrote at the end, there are some things that I do like about it, including two of the three things you mentioned. I DO like the trading jerseys at the end. It was a curious sight at first, but I like the show of respect and sportsmanship that it represents and Americans could probably learn a lot from such behavior. And the man-down thing, great. I think ALL sports should have the power play. It would totally change the dynamics and strategies of sports that have become stagnant and predictable over the years.

Anyway, sorry to blog on your blog, I just wanted to put my two cents in;).
Simon said…
I think the tie is the killer, we like to see a winner and a loser. Its bad enough to go to a 1-0 baseball game but a 0-0 tie in soccer would tick Americans off. It's amazing that it took Hockey Decades to figure that out.

Popular posts from this blog

Lou Holtz is the Homer / Annoyingly Delusional

As my buddy Joe and I always joke, if Notre Dame was suiting up against an all Jesus team, aka a team made up of 55 Sons of God, Lou Holtz would probably still pick Notre Dame to win by a touchdown. So of course this weekend when I'm watching Sportscenter and they have him and fellow old man Corso making predictions, Lou picks ND to beat Michigan. Not that big of a deal, Michigan is a big question mark this year, but of course than Lou says that Notre Dame will win 11 games this year. This is the same Notre Dame that lost to a service academy last year. And just when you thought the douchy homerism was going to end ESPN asks which BCS school is going to be the biggest surprise team in the country. Any guesses to whom it was? I'll give you a clue it was another team he coached. If you guessed South Carolina you would be a winner. Next up on Lou's prediction watch, the Jets win the Superbowl, NC St. wins the ACC, Arkansas dominates the SEC West, Minnesota wins the Big

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Ranking the New York Jets Historical Helmets

There's no way you can't go with the Helmet they won the Super Bowl in. You just can't. Next, I really don't understand why they don't where the helmet with the Jet as their throwback uniforms. That helmet is awesome. Then I'm going with the Helmets from the 80s because it's the classic feel and the white face mask is 10 times better than the black one. And the rankings continue until you get to... The Titans Helmet. I hate everything about those Titan uniforms. The Helmets are boring and the colors are GOD awful. Navy blue and Mustard? What the hell is that. Disgusting. If they wore those unis when I was a kid I'd probably be a Giant fan, and be much happier with my life in football.