Skip to main content

Why I like Playing Frisbee

First of all I'll play basically any sport if you come up to me and ask me to play something and I don't have something else to do I'm going to say yes. So occasionally, when there's really nothing else to write about, I'm going to write about why I enjoy playing a given sport. This summer I have been playing Ultimate Frisbee basically every sunday night and here are some of the positives and negatives of Ultimate Frisbee from my perspective:

Positives

1) The more athletic you are the better chance you have to be good at frisbee. The only reason I'm decent at this sport is because I'm a solid athlete. I'm pretty quick which helps me get seperation from a defender as well as playing defense, I can jump relatively high for a short 5 foot 8 white man.

2) Frisbee is basically whatever workout you want it to be. If you want to play one half of the field, either offense or defense, than you can minimalize your workout. However, if you want you can run up and down the field for the whole game playing both defense and offense and get a really good workout. Plus, playing sports and running with additional adrenaline, in my perspective is a lot more enjoyable than simply running around the streets.

3) The deep throw. Nothing is more fun than trying to come down with or defend the deep throw. It is usually the dumbest throw to make in the game, unless you are incredibly skilled, but its like going up for a Hail Mary in football, the offensive player usually never comes down with it but when he does its sweet.

4) I enjoy how we play on sundays, we allow a little physical contact, typically you're not going to get killed if you go up for the frisbee but a little bump to get you away from the frisbee makes the sport less wussy. If there is no physical contact at all which is the real rules than thats a little weak.

5) I also, don't like the official throw off rule, where after every touchdown the team that scores throws off to the other team, basically that rule slows down the game, and I'm glad we don't do that.

Negatives

1) The kids that show up and get on the field and refuse to do anything. Basically the kids that you wonder why the hell they are even there if they don't want to run at all why are they playing. Last week there was a kid on my team that sat in the defensive zone so he made it look like he was playing but he never made an effort to defend the frisbee.

2) My Throwing skills, you see all the kids who show up and they can throw every which way, not me I can throw old school backhanded style thats it. Those are the limits of my abilities. If I try to throw forehand, think side arm baseball throw, my frisbee dives like a one winged duck.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lou Holtz is the Homer / Annoyingly Delusional

As my buddy Joe and I always joke, if Notre Dame was suiting up against an all Jesus team, aka a team made up of 55 Sons of God, Lou Holtz would probably still pick Notre Dame to win by a touchdown. So of course this weekend when I'm watching Sportscenter and they have him and fellow old man Corso making predictions, Lou picks ND to beat Michigan. Not that big of a deal, Michigan is a big question mark this year, but of course than Lou says that Notre Dame will win 11 games this year. This is the same Notre Dame that lost to a service academy last year. And just when you thought the douchy homerism was going to end ESPN asks which BCS school is going to be the biggest surprise team in the country. Any guesses to whom it was? I'll give you a clue it was another team he coached. If you guessed South Carolina you would be a winner. Next up on Lou's prediction watch, the Jets win the Superbowl, NC St. wins the ACC, Arkansas dominates the SEC West, Minnesota wins the Big

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Ranking the New York Jets Historical Helmets

There's no way you can't go with the Helmet they won the Super Bowl in. You just can't. Next, I really don't understand why they don't where the helmet with the Jet as their throwback uniforms. That helmet is awesome. Then I'm going with the Helmets from the 80s because it's the classic feel and the white face mask is 10 times better than the black one. And the rankings continue until you get to... The Titans Helmet. I hate everything about those Titan uniforms. The Helmets are boring and the colors are GOD awful. Navy blue and Mustard? What the hell is that. Disgusting. If they wore those unis when I was a kid I'd probably be a Giant fan, and be much happier with my life in football.