Skip to main content

Weekend Review Quick Notes

~The Rocket is back in NYC, and nobody is surprised except for apparently Susan Waldman who flipped out on the radio broadcast. Get a chill pill there Susan. Back to the Rocket signing a bloated prorated 28 million dollar contract. It was obvious that the Yankees needed to do this. With Hughes, Pavano and Karstens down for extended periods of time as well as Igawa getting rocked in every start they had a severe need for back of the rotation starters. The only option out there was Clemens, they had the cash to throw out there that they saved when they traded Randy Johnson, and because Johnson was no longer on the team they did not have the issue with Clemens only showing up on pitching days. It was a very mercenary move, but it makes sense.

~More Clemens, I don't understand why people get ticked off that he does this. Guy's gonna be 45 in August, why should he be forced to go to spring training and throw the first 2 months of the season, it's not like he's a 23 year old kid anymore, his arm will break down given 33 starts. It wouldn't make sense for him or any other team. And if clubs like the Astros, Yanks or Sox are going to throw boatloads of cash in his direction to do so then good for him. Supply & Demand, in the future I bet other hall of fame pitchers due this, and I won't blame them either.

~The second biggest pitching news of the weekend is probably Joel Zumaya dislocating his finger throwing pitches in the bullpen. How the hell did you do that? Your finger pops out of the joint throwing a baseball? That probably sucked. So in your two year career Joel you have been injured playing a Guitar Hero video game and dislocated your finger throwing a baseball. At this pace you're going to have a career arm injury after being hit by feces flung by a monkey.

~Chris Carpenter is now going to be out for several months and the defending World Series champ might as well pack it in already after a single month of the season.

~My boy the Flyin Hawaiian, Shane Victorino, had 2 steals in each of the first three games of the Giant Series and capped it off with a dinger off rookie Tim Lincecum yesterday, talk about Roto hero.

~CC Fatassia is 5-0, he's a sleeper Cy Young pick.

~Barry Bonds won't stop hitting home runs. Boo to that. And his numbers right now are phenomenal:
AB HR AVG RBI R SB
72 10 .347 22 22 1

~Haven't heard raving reviews about the De La Hoya Mayweather fight. Pretty much all I've heard was good fight but not an epic. So I'm not disappointed that I decided to celebrate Cinco De Mayo instead. I'm sure the fight will be replayed on HBO and HBO 2 every day starting next week, so I'll catch a replay, but I don't think it 'saved' boxing. And certainly I don't think Mayweather is one of the greatest fighters of all time like he self proclaims himself. He doesn't have the punching power anymore to knock people out and just wins via decisions. That's not greatest of all time material.

~Missed the Kentucky Derby as well, was too busy eating a Chimichanga. I can't say I'm at all upset about missing the horse race. Unless you have a massive party to go to and then watch the race or if your a big time gambler it just isn't that cool. I mean the race lasts for under 3 minutes. The one benefit that Horse Racing has over NASCAR is that exact fact though, 3 minutes instead of hours.

~The Rangers were a few seconds away from a 3-2 series lead, instead they give up a goal lose in OT and get bounced in game 6 and down goes the metropolitan area. Buffalo vs. Ottawa will sure bring in that casual hockey fan. Ha.

~T-Mac was basically a little girl after their loss in game 7. If Yao and T-Mac are both two top 20 NBA players they need to be able to get out of the first round. Hey T-Mac this is a series you should have won, so maybe I should reneg my MVP vote for you. I think they should just declare no one the winner of the MVP for 2007 as Dirk certainly didn't deserve it either.

~If/When the Spurs win their series versus the Suns I think I'll declare myself done with the NBA for 07. I would probably want to shoot myself if there was another Spurs Pistons series. That would be incredibly lame. I certainly would be rooting for C-Webb in that scenario, but he's a shell of his former self, so it's not nearly as cool if he gets a championship now as it would have been when he was a dominant force for those Kings teams that choked series away to the Lakers.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Everybody keeps saying that Clemens went to the Yankees solely because of the money. I beg to differ. The money is a plus, obviously, but I think there is another "plus" in this equation. Roger Clemens is going to be a hall of famer. There has been debate for the past few years as to what team he will enter the hall as, red sox or yankees. Players don't get to choose the team and I believe this is a factor. I think this is his way of trying to take control of the situation. He has already come out and stated that he thinks he can pitch like he did when he was younger. I believe he is a great player and if he comes in with the yankees hitting ability, and they can get a couple guy to pitch better, they will be in good shape this season (look at how close they came to winning those games against the sox). And if all goes well, this will play a factor in swaying the votes towards entering in as a Yankee.
Frank the Tank said…
What I don't understand is why people question the Yankees in overpaying for players. The only way to sign a top free agent pitcher in this market is to overpay for him, look at Burnett, Zito, etc. The other aspect is so what if the Yankees pay 4.5 million a month for clemens, they are worth over a billion dollar. Almost 500 million more than the next team (Mets). Thats nearly 2 times the amount of money. So financially does it really hurt them to spend twice as much, I don't think so. Thats where the flaw is in baseball because the better run organizations in better markets can just outspend other teams, but its a business.

Popular posts from this blog

Lou Holtz is the Homer / Annoyingly Delusional

As my buddy Joe and I always joke, if Notre Dame was suiting up against an all Jesus team, aka a team made up of 55 Sons of God, Lou Holtz would probably still pick Notre Dame to win by a touchdown. So of course this weekend when I'm watching Sportscenter and they have him and fellow old man Corso making predictions, Lou picks ND to beat Michigan. Not that big of a deal, Michigan is a big question mark this year, but of course than Lou says that Notre Dame will win 11 games this year. This is the same Notre Dame that lost to a service academy last year. And just when you thought the douchy homerism was going to end ESPN asks which BCS school is going to be the biggest surprise team in the country. Any guesses to whom it was? I'll give you a clue it was another team he coached. If you guessed South Carolina you would be a winner. Next up on Lou's prediction watch, the Jets win the Superbowl, NC St. wins the ACC, Arkansas dominates the SEC West, Minnesota wins the Big

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Ranking the New York Jets Historical Helmets

There's no way you can't go with the Helmet they won the Super Bowl in. You just can't. Next, I really don't understand why they don't where the helmet with the Jet as their throwback uniforms. That helmet is awesome. Then I'm going with the Helmets from the 80s because it's the classic feel and the white face mask is 10 times better than the black one. And the rankings continue until you get to... The Titans Helmet. I hate everything about those Titan uniforms. The Helmets are boring and the colors are GOD awful. Navy blue and Mustard? What the hell is that. Disgusting. If they wore those unis when I was a kid I'd probably be a Giant fan, and be much happier with my life in football.