Skip to main content

Keeper Dilemna

Hey sure it's early to start thinking about fantasy baseball, but february is a terrible month for sports and the Rotisserie Baseball League I am in is pimp. Anyway the way it works is we have 2 players for each infield position and 5 outfielders, and from the previous season you get to protect 5 players. My problem, I have more than 5 guys who are worthy to keep. Note that there is no limitation on how long I can keep players, so you have to balance the issue of winning this year without sacrificing a player who could be elite in the future.

Gary Sheffield, OF, DET - One of my keepers last year, basically kicked me in the nuts with the injuries. He could put up huge numbers this season, he's always been good with a chip on his shoulder, but he's old provides no real benefit past this season or next, he killed me last season, aka Im bitter, and he's more of an injury risk than anyone else on this list due to his age.

Felipe Lopez, SS/2B, WAS - Another one of my keepers last season, power numbers severely dropped last year but steals increased drastically and with him playing 2B this season, the flexibility of being able to move him between SS/2B is a very appealing attribute.

Jimmy Rollins, SS, PHI - Stole him at the midway point last year in a trade for Jose Lopez. Rollins is ranked pretty high in every ranking system and plays a premium position at SS. He also provides steals which are tough to come by, I just really get the feeling that his going to slump this season. And that unlike every other year where he stinks in the first half and is terrific in the second, that he will have that second half swoon. Perhaps I will be right, perhaps I will be wrong.

Ryan Zimmerman, 3B, WAS - This would be a tough leave off, Zimmerman shows such potential to be an absolute stud down the road and he showed last season to be incredibly clutch. The issue with Zimmerman is his team sucks and he hits in a terrible ballpark. In addition I have Andy Laroche in my minor league stack, a stud prospect, and keeping Zimmerman and Aramis would render him useless.

Brian McCann, C, ATL - He batted .333 and had 24 homers as a catcher in his full first season. You don't get those kind of numbers from a catcher ever, and in a league where you are forced to start two catchers that makes it that much more valuable.

Paul Konerko, 1B, CHW - Konerko will hit about .300, with 35+ homers and 100+ rbis, book it. Plus, he's only 30 despite my initial assumption. Only negative is at 1B does he put up numbers that drastically eclipse a 1B I could draft in a later round?

Robinson Cano, 2B, NYY - Cano missed a decent sized portion of the season last year, yet almost won the batting title almost had 80 rbis and hit 15 homers, all at 2B. The only 2B better than Cano is Utley, and he's young and in a pimp lineup. If I don't keep Cano he's the #1 pick in the draft. Now if only I could convince Torre to bat him 2nd.

Aramis Ramirez, 3B, CHC - Aramis hit 38 homeruns and had 119 rbis at 3B for a team that stunk last year with no protection in the lineup. This season he heas Derrick Lee and Soriano in the lineup, upgrade perhaps, or will he pull an Adrian Beltre now that he has inked a massive contract.

Lance Berkman, 1B/OF, HOU - Lance Berkman is the only person on this list who I have not remotely contemplated dumping. His numbers are ludicrous, he should have been the MVP last year, and the 1B/OF flexibility is much more useful than most people realize.

Plan of Attack

The order I have listed there is currently the order I have my players ranked in, meaning I'm leaning towards the bottom 5 but am up for suggestions. Over the course of the next month I will be attempting to make some kind of package trade for draft round upgrades and/or a better keeper, most likely fruitlessly attempting, but attempting nonetheless. Suggestions por favor?

Comments

IronDog said…
Nice blog...

Keep Ramirez and Zimm. He's not Beltre, and he was left out in the open last season. Rammer needs back-up. Lee and Soriano give the support.

Zimm is going to explode. Sheff is done. Berkman is nice. Like Konerko a lot...He's a sleeper because of less pressure. Rollins is always solid.

Nice blog, and thanks for changing my thoughts from CBB to baseball..See you in Yardbarker.

Peace,
BD
Frank the Tank said…
Thats a tough choice those are all good players. The 5 I would take are (in order)

1) Aramis Ramirez - You can't cut 38 HR and 119 Rbi's
2) Berkman - Like you said, he has ludicrous numbers and he can be put in 2 positions.
3) Robinson Cano - Hes in his early 20's and will win a batting title before his career is over. In the yankees lineup he'll get plenty of AB's with guys on base.
4) Paul Konerko - A sure bet to get you good numbers. I would want someone I know is going to get you good numbers at 1st base rather than take a chance in the draft.
5) Brian McCann - A tough decision between him and Zimmerman, but I think that having a Catcher that can hit for decent numbers is a huge advantage because most teams won't have one.

Didn't make the cut
1) Gary Sheffield - He's played the last couple seasons hurt, is old, hes too much of a risk.
2) Jimmy Rollins - I had him last year and he didn't produce too much for me, I think his stats get a little inflated because of his hitting streak.
3) Felipe Lopez - Although he can play 2 positions and has good speed, I think Cano is a better choice for 2nd base because he is a better hitter
4) Zimmerman - He is a good hitter but I don't think with the loss of Soriano, the ballpark he's in, and team he is on that he will put up better numbers than Ramirez.

Popular posts from this blog

Lou Holtz is the Homer / Annoyingly Delusional

As my buddy Joe and I always joke, if Notre Dame was suiting up against an all Jesus team, aka a team made up of 55 Sons of God, Lou Holtz would probably still pick Notre Dame to win by a touchdown. So of course this weekend when I'm watching Sportscenter and they have him and fellow old man Corso making predictions, Lou picks ND to beat Michigan. Not that big of a deal, Michigan is a big question mark this year, but of course than Lou says that Notre Dame will win 11 games this year. This is the same Notre Dame that lost to a service academy last year. And just when you thought the douchy homerism was going to end ESPN asks which BCS school is going to be the biggest surprise team in the country. Any guesses to whom it was? I'll give you a clue it was another team he coached. If you guessed South Carolina you would be a winner. Next up on Lou's prediction watch, the Jets win the Superbowl, NC St. wins the ACC, Arkansas dominates the SEC West, Minnesota wins the Big

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Ranking the New York Jets Historical Helmets

There's no way you can't go with the Helmet they won the Super Bowl in. You just can't. Next, I really don't understand why they don't where the helmet with the Jet as their throwback uniforms. That helmet is awesome. Then I'm going with the Helmets from the 80s because it's the classic feel and the white face mask is 10 times better than the black one. And the rankings continue until you get to... The Titans Helmet. I hate everything about those Titan uniforms. The Helmets are boring and the colors are GOD awful. Navy blue and Mustard? What the hell is that. Disgusting. If they wore those unis when I was a kid I'd probably be a Giant fan, and be much happier with my life in football.