Skip to main content

Open Championship Review

The Open Championship final round was one of the most entertaining rounds of golf I have ever watched. It went back and forth between the leaders. Had people making birdies, eagles, double bogeys down the stretch. A playoff between two great golfers and an Argentine unknown pulling shots out of his ass. It was great.

Sergio es Un Choko

I said I wanted Sergio to win the damn thing, and I said I wanted to see how he would handle the whole thing coming down the stretch, so I got one of two. I really don't think Sergio played that poorly on Sunday he just regressed back to the old Sergio, as in he couldn't make a single damn putt. He had tons of opportunities to drain a 10 foot putt and he never did and that burned him. The belly putter which worked the first few days just lost its gusto on sunday.

Sergio was a typical dumb ass post tournament however, and said that he should "write a book on how not to miss a shot and not win a playoff." Hey, Sergio no more talk por favor.

Paddy Gets it Done

Typically I root for Paddy Harrington mostly cause he's really the only Irish guy of note. However, I did want Sergio to win so I was mildly disappointed and I even said hit it in the water on his tee shot on 18, so that was a bit douche on my part. Regardless his collapse on 18 was highly entertaining, the look on his face afterwards when his son jumped into his arms was cool, and watching him pull it off in extra holes was nice.

Andres Romero is Cool

Adding to the enjoyment of watching the final round most was Andres Romero, and Argentine who bares quite a resemblance to the hammock sellers that I ran across on the beaches of Mazatlan. He was on fire had a goofy smile on his face the whole time and the best part was after he hit the ball that ricocheted off the burn OB, he decided what the hell and pulled out his wood from the rough and drilled it onto the green. That was entertaining.

One thing that was absolute BS is how somehow ABC had zero camera shot of the shot that went OB. How do you not have that on tape? You have 4 or 5 cameras on the guy. At that time he was leading the tournament, yet no angle on the shot. Morons.

My Predictions Weren't Bad

Unlike my predictions at the US Open which were miserable, my predictions at the Open Championship were actually pretty good. I went with Tigger, so I didn't grab that one. But my top two other contenders were Sergio and Padraig so I nailed that. Granted I pick Sergio a lot and it was bound to happen that he came close, but hey not bad. Oh and Paul Lawrie didn't make the cut.

A Couple Entertaining Commercials

Throughout the round while the commercials were on way way way way too much, atleast there were a few that were entertaining. Sergio's bond-esque commercial was funny as was the commercial with the girl tormenting the driving range cart-boy, and the caddy training commercial with the caddies diving in front of golf balls. I want to find those vids on youtube but haven't yet.

My Buddy Hates Mike Tirico

I can't say that I am overly fond of Mike Tirico, but my buddy at CGB who I was watching the golf with wants to kick him square in the chin. That is all.

Sergio Better at Shopping Cart Pushing than Putting



Now if they had a major at a Stop & Shop Parking lot Sergio would have been all set.

Extra Quicknotes


~Ernie Els looked like a clown in powder blue and pink.

~Golf can still be cool without Tiger or Phil. This was the best major in awhile and it included neither of them anywhere in the running.

~Carnoustie between this tourny and the Van De Velde blunder should be in the Open Championship rotation at minumum every five years. It should be Carnoustie, St. Andrews and a rotation other sites for the remaining three years.

~Europe has finally ended its major drought, thanks to an Irishman of course. That was a long time.

~I did enjoy Tirico yelping out the stereotypical "They'll be having some pints in Ireland tonight" after Paddy's win.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I believe ABC used the BBC feed so cant blame ABC too much for camera work regarding Romero et al

Popular posts from this blog

Lou Holtz is the Homer / Annoyingly Delusional

As my buddy Joe and I always joke, if Notre Dame was suiting up against an all Jesus team, aka a team made up of 55 Sons of God, Lou Holtz would probably still pick Notre Dame to win by a touchdown. So of course this weekend when I'm watching Sportscenter and they have him and fellow old man Corso making predictions, Lou picks ND to beat Michigan. Not that big of a deal, Michigan is a big question mark this year, but of course than Lou says that Notre Dame will win 11 games this year. This is the same Notre Dame that lost to a service academy last year. And just when you thought the douchy homerism was going to end ESPN asks which BCS school is going to be the biggest surprise team in the country. Any guesses to whom it was? I'll give you a clue it was another team he coached. If you guessed South Carolina you would be a winner. Next up on Lou's prediction watch, the Jets win the Superbowl, NC St. wins the ACC, Arkansas dominates the SEC West, Minnesota wins the Big

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Ranking the New York Jets Historical Helmets

There's no way you can't go with the Helmet they won the Super Bowl in. You just can't. Next, I really don't understand why they don't where the helmet with the Jet as their throwback uniforms. That helmet is awesome. Then I'm going with the Helmets from the 80s because it's the classic feel and the white face mask is 10 times better than the black one. And the rankings continue until you get to... The Titans Helmet. I hate everything about those Titan uniforms. The Helmets are boring and the colors are GOD awful. Navy blue and Mustard? What the hell is that. Disgusting. If they wore those unis when I was a kid I'd probably be a Giant fan, and be much happier with my life in football.