Skip to main content

Weighing In on the Big Stuff Quick Notes

~So I've noticeably not talked much about the biggest scandals in sports recently, mostly cause everyone else on the planet has put their two cents in. So I didn't want to do an individual post daily on the Vick, Donaghy, Bonds etc., sagas. So I'm gonna roll it all into one quick notes.

Mike Vick and the Ron Mexico Doggies

~First on Vick, I think he's pretty much screwed as does everyone else. I doubt he plays a down for Atlanta this season, and personally don't care if he does. I think there's no way he gets away with not knowing that the stuff went down because he was the sole financier and it's highly doubtful he can prove that he didn't even ask where his money was going and had no knowledge of the dog fighting.

~As for the crimes, I'm not a PETA person so I think they're bad but not the worst acts ever committed. The worst part to me is the way they killed some of the dogs that were weak with drownings, electrocutions, and just pummeling the dogs on the ground, that's pretty horrendous. But as for the fights themselves, I'm not saying I would go watch them or that I approve of them, but I just don't see them being the end of the world and I'm surprised this is that big of a crime. Sure dogs ravaging themselves is cruelty to animals, but so is just about everything else we humans do. The fighting takes it to another level but still hunting isn't cruelty to animals? We kill pigs all the time, technically they are smarter animals than dogs, we have no problem with that because its for a food source, but when its for deranged peoples entertainment its hideously wrong. Hell we chain calves down and don't let them move so we can have a tender piece of veal, I don't see that many people holding up when they have a nice dish in front of themselves. There's evidence of cruelty to animals in surrounding sports even, just look at horse racing where if a horse breaks its damn leg its time to send them to the glue factory, and they used to kill those horses with nail guns. Thats nice.

~As for the NFL, I don't really think this will do much negatively for the NFL. Come Sunday afternoons are you going to boycott games? No. And now that the NFL will suspend Vick soon enough, PETA won't be involved.

~Speaking of PETA, they are despicable. They claim to be high and mighty and lovers of animals and that the whole Vick thing is horrendous. Yet, they have no problem trying to sell anti-Vick apparel so they can turn a profit. They are so slimy.

~As for the Falcons, they weren't going to be good anyway. They still have limited talented skill players. Joe Horn is past his prime. Warrick Dunn is past his prime. Their offense was going to be the same as it has been the past few years. Not good enough to get it done.

~My favorite part is how people are killing the Falcons for trading Matt Schaub now. They got two 2nd round picks for a guy that has never done anything in his NFL career. Would I rather have Joey Harrington at QB and two 2nd round picks, or Matt Schaub? I go with the former. I know Harrington has been a relative bust, but the Lions were terrible for those years and he wasn't that bad for the Dolphins last season. They're making it out like Matt Schaub is a guaranteed star in this league, guy was a 3rd round pick and played well one game against the Patriots, what does that prove?

Donaghy and Stern's Shaving Love Affair

~I think this story is being blown out of proportion too. We don't know any details as of yet, and people are treating it like it's the worst possible outcome already. Can we just once wait until all the details are out before we jump on the story like it's the end of the world?

~Mostly I just want to know about his playoff game betting. As we all know the regular season is completely meaningless. So if he effected who won a game in the regular season it is bad, but chances are it had no effect on the final standings. Thus, meaningless. If all he did was effect the Over/Under and spread of regular season games and never the full outcome of a game then damn, we shouldn't care at all right now. He's fired and he's done with, hopefully no other jackass does it again, but be thankful that it didn't effect anything major.

~Now if he really did blow game 3 of the Suns series and was betting on the outcome of that game then the guy should be crucified by the public and should definitely be sent to jail. That's actually relevant. I have a feeling he didn't though, as I watched the video which claimed that there were a ton of bad fouls called, and there were, but they were distributed equally between the three officials. In essence they all sucked equally. I didn't see anything where he stuck out above the other three.

~Stern's press conference seemed resigned to the fact that he really can't do anything about it, and that's true. It's not his fault, it's not the leagues fault it's one ref being a douche. Simple as that, I'd be willing to bet that the vast majority of refs in the NBA have never even let that thought hit their mind.

~Let's just repeat this, the NBA regular season results are irrelevant.

Selig and Bonds Hugfest

~This story is so old it's just sickening that people continue to talk about it daily. Selig is going to go to the game. Woo, who cares. He goes to the game or he doesn't, what does it matter? We all know that he doesn't think much of Bonds and hates the fact that he's going to break the record.

~Apparently Bonds ex-mistress is going to pose for Playboy and give a tell all interview. I wonder if she's seeking to make some cash. Ya, I'm going to believe everything she says in the interview.

~The record is already officially dead. We all knew it was eventually going to fall to Bonds years ago. Everyone held out a glimmer of hope, but come on, you knew it was going to happen. Get over it, give a token woo when you see Barry hit 756 and that'll be it. Of course I'm sure that ESPN and other networks will cover it for the remainder of the season regardless of when it actually happens. Ugh. Waste of my time.

~OK That's all I got on that stuff... Well for today at least.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Its not so much the dog fighting crime that the feds are trying to stop so much as the gambling ring that crosses accross several states involved with the dog fights.
Frank the Tank said…
The NBA is irrelevant. Bring back hockey.
Frank the Tank said…
I just want Bonds to break the record and retire so we don't have to get reports of his every friggen move. Interrupting games everytime he has to take a swing.
Papa Bear said…
I'm with Frank. I was watching the Sox at the liquor store the other day, and not only did Fox break coverage for every one of Bonds' ABs, but the last one was an intentional walk! They stayed with it for all four pitches, I've never been more irate in my life

Popular posts from this blog

Lou Holtz is the Homer / Annoyingly Delusional

As my buddy Joe and I always joke, if Notre Dame was suiting up against an all Jesus team, aka a team made up of 55 Sons of God, Lou Holtz would probably still pick Notre Dame to win by a touchdown. So of course this weekend when I'm watching Sportscenter and they have him and fellow old man Corso making predictions, Lou picks ND to beat Michigan. Not that big of a deal, Michigan is a big question mark this year, but of course than Lou says that Notre Dame will win 11 games this year. This is the same Notre Dame that lost to a service academy last year. And just when you thought the douchy homerism was going to end ESPN asks which BCS school is going to be the biggest surprise team in the country. Any guesses to whom it was? I'll give you a clue it was another team he coached. If you guessed South Carolina you would be a winner. Next up on Lou's prediction watch, the Jets win the Superbowl, NC St. wins the ACC, Arkansas dominates the SEC West, Minnesota wins the Big

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Ranking the New York Jets Historical Helmets

There's no way you can't go with the Helmet they won the Super Bowl in. You just can't. Next, I really don't understand why they don't where the helmet with the Jet as their throwback uniforms. That helmet is awesome. Then I'm going with the Helmets from the 80s because it's the classic feel and the white face mask is 10 times better than the black one. And the rankings continue until you get to... The Titans Helmet. I hate everything about those Titan uniforms. The Helmets are boring and the colors are GOD awful. Navy blue and Mustard? What the hell is that. Disgusting. If they wore those unis when I was a kid I'd probably be a Giant fan, and be much happier with my life in football.