Skip to main content

2010 Fantasy Catcher Rankings

How am I doing my rankings? First I take the CHONE projections for each player, next I calculate what percentage of my needed stats they will garner me in my keeper league (3rd place for each category). Finally I see just how much added bonus they give me in comparison to the average player at the position.

What About Joe Mauer's Power?
Joe Mauer for years was a slightly overrated fantasy asset. Sure he was going to give you a ridiculous average especially for a catcher but his power was equivalent to Dioner Navarro's aka non-existant. And then 2009 came and all of a sudden Mauer was smacking home runs left and right with no harm done to his .365 average. If Joe Mauer hits 30+ home runs this season he's worth a 1st round pick because Catcher is so shallow, if he hits 12-15 home runs than you're team might be in trouble.

If Only He Played Everyday
The biggest problem with catchers is that most of them get ample days off weekly. For instance Mike Napoli has hit 20 HRs in each of the past two seasons with a .270+ average. These are solid numbers for any position really and especially catcher. The problem is Jeff Mathis steals 50 games away from Napoli each season even though he can't hit .215. Imagine what Napoli could offer you if he took he played 80 games behind the dish and another 65 at DH.

When Do You Gamble on Wieters?
Over the past 4 5 years there's been an ample set of highly touted rookies to gamble on in a fantasy draft. Some of these gambles have paid off, others have failed miserably. This season the man to gamble on is Matt Wieters. Personally I'd rather have Wieters than Ianetta, Shoppach, Yadier Molina, Montero, etc. Why? Post All-Star break Wieters hit .300+ in his rookie year. If he can do that for an entire year you're getting a top 5 catcher at half the price.


Comments

KyleS said…
Well Mauer's season was a fluke.
If you're a Twins fan, you might like my predictions for the AL Central I posted today.

Popular posts from this blog

Lou Holtz is the Homer / Annoyingly Delusional

As my buddy Joe and I always joke, if Notre Dame was suiting up against an all Jesus team, aka a team made up of 55 Sons of God, Lou Holtz would probably still pick Notre Dame to win by a touchdown. So of course this weekend when I'm watching Sportscenter and they have him and fellow old man Corso making predictions, Lou picks ND to beat Michigan. Not that big of a deal, Michigan is a big question mark this year, but of course than Lou says that Notre Dame will win 11 games this year. This is the same Notre Dame that lost to a service academy last year. And just when you thought the douchy homerism was going to end ESPN asks which BCS school is going to be the biggest surprise team in the country. Any guesses to whom it was? I'll give you a clue it was another team he coached. If you guessed South Carolina you would be a winner. Next up on Lou's prediction watch, the Jets win the Superbowl, NC St. wins the ACC, Arkansas dominates the SEC West, Minnesota wins the Big

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Ranking the New York Jets Historical Helmets

There's no way you can't go with the Helmet they won the Super Bowl in. You just can't. Next, I really don't understand why they don't where the helmet with the Jet as their throwback uniforms. That helmet is awesome. Then I'm going with the Helmets from the 80s because it's the classic feel and the white face mask is 10 times better than the black one. And the rankings continue until you get to... The Titans Helmet. I hate everything about those Titan uniforms. The Helmets are boring and the colors are GOD awful. Navy blue and Mustard? What the hell is that. Disgusting. If they wore those unis when I was a kid I'd probably be a Giant fan, and be much happier with my life in football.