Skip to main content

Tourny Weekend Quick Notes

Friday

~Went bowling on friday night so I can't say I really watched much of the games, kind of just floated in and out of the bar at the lanes to check the score and watch some of the game but here was my take.

~Jeff Green definately traveled on his game winner, but the over the back foul call that gave Vandy the lead to begin with was a terrible call so Karma won out in the long run.

~Butler needed to have the game of their life to beat Florida and they were doing close to that for the first 35 minutes and then midnight struck.

~I really wanted UNLV to win, but from the score checks it never looked like they were in the game at all.

~What the hell happened to USC? They were absolutely dominating the first half of the game and then they crashed and burned so quickly. Within the span of one string of bowling UNC went from down double digits to up double digits. USC winning would have helped my bracket but in the long run I am glad the Tarheels won.

Saturday

~Foul problems have really taken away from some of these games. On saturday Memphis was making a terrific game out of it and then in the span of a few minutes Dorsey, Allen and Douglas-Roberts all picked up their fourth foul and all came out of the game and then OSU put on the burners and cruised to a double digit lead and the victory. I think if those guys remain in the game, especially Douglas-Roberts who is a explosive wingman who was giving the Buckeyes fits, the Tigers take the game down to the full whistle and maybe we have a buzzer beater on one side or the other. Instead Memphis was toast.

~Did anyone other than me highly enjoy the guy on Memphis with the flames etched into his hair? Highly comical.

~How about Joey Dorsey coming out and saying he is underrated and Oden is overrated? Good move. Way to come out and do absolutely nothing. Goose egg, zero, you provided Memphis nothing. And when you were fed the ball for an open dunk, you couldn't power it over an out of position Oden. Shut your yap.

~I think Memphis had all the talent to win a National Title with Douglas-Roberts, Anderson, Hunt and Dozier they have athletic swingman that really can't be guarded by either power forwards or smaller guards. But you have to wonder how much playing in Conference USA hurt them this season. In past years they could play against Marquette, Depaul and Cincy and usually one of them was really good every year. But this season they played against nobody good for the last month of the year and that can't help you prepare for the big games come tournament time.

~I hate watching UCLA play I just do. They play terrific defense and the game is ugly as hell. In addition they have no problem running a spread offense and waiting til the final seconds of the shot clock to run their offense. It's painful.

~With that being said Kansas certainly didn't help the cause on Saturday. They A) Were sloppy with their passing. They attempted the extra pass way too many times instead of taking open jumpers most of these passes ended up being deflected and turned over. B) They attempted to force everything into the line and then either continue the ill-advised pass or just throw some kind of junk at the rim. C) They ran nothing but on the ball screens which stopped working the start of the second half. I dont think I saw a single off the ball screen the entire second half. No wonder Bill Self has never made a Final 4.

~How big was the missed wide open layup by the Jayhawks and the canned 3 by Josh Shipp at the buzzer to end the first half. A 5 point swing which just took UCLA into the half with the momentum.

~Lorenzo Mata is not an attractive dude.

~The 3s hit by Afflalo and Collison with a second on the shot clock were very annoying.

Sunday

~I never got the feeling throughout the whole Oregon Florida game that Oregon had a chance of winning. Granted I was doing my fantasy draft with my buddies from home (#2 of 3 leagues I'm in) and just glancing at the tv when it was on, but Florida maintained around a 5 point lead the whole game. I really have nothing else to say about this game other than I like the Oregon unis.

~When you think about it UNC wasn't really good on offense at any point in time during the game. They pretty much got off to a big start and scored a bunch of points with Hansbrough on the free throw line.

~They also didn't help themselves with their terrible shot selection. Why gun 3s, why not pound the ball with Tyler in the post, he was on fire on the line and he's certainly a better option than Green gunning 3s. And worst of all tied down the stretch why the hell are you taking a three, give the ball to Hansborough in the post. So stupid. Atleast attempt to get the ball to the rack.

~Wallace never gets any pub but that three he hit was one of the most clutch shots in G-Town history, obviosuly. And once this game went to overtime you knew the Hoyas were going to bury them.

~One thing I did like during this game was that the refs towards the end of the game let the big guys play. On a few of Hibbert's blocks they could have easily called him for what would have been his 4th foul. Instead they let him play and they didn't take the game into their own hand. I know Hoya fans were ticked in the first half but I think these refs did a terrific job in the second half.

~Jeff Green is terrific, and should be a top 10 pick in the draft if he comes out. I just hope he stays with the Hoyas, I really like this team.

~How about Doc Rivers in the stands, maybe he should play for Georgetown and his son can coach the Celtics, it may work out the best for both parties.

~Ty Lawson was terrible in the 2nd half and overtime.

~I think Georgetown is the best passing team in recent memory. Sure it could be attributed to their back cuts but when they make those passes their threading them over outspread arms. Just a fun team to watch. The opposite of UCLA.

~I got three final four teams right in my tourny picks and even better I got three of the final 4 teams right from my preseason picks, the only team I did not get right was I had Wisconsin in the Final 4, but since they were in the bracket of another pick Florida I couldn't get all 4 right, can't control that.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lou Holtz is the Homer / Annoyingly Delusional

As my buddy Joe and I always joke, if Notre Dame was suiting up against an all Jesus team, aka a team made up of 55 Sons of God, Lou Holtz would probably still pick Notre Dame to win by a touchdown. So of course this weekend when I'm watching Sportscenter and they have him and fellow old man Corso making predictions, Lou picks ND to beat Michigan. Not that big of a deal, Michigan is a big question mark this year, but of course than Lou says that Notre Dame will win 11 games this year. This is the same Notre Dame that lost to a service academy last year. And just when you thought the douchy homerism was going to end ESPN asks which BCS school is going to be the biggest surprise team in the country. Any guesses to whom it was? I'll give you a clue it was another team he coached. If you guessed South Carolina you would be a winner. Next up on Lou's prediction watch, the Jets win the Superbowl, NC St. wins the ACC, Arkansas dominates the SEC West, Minnesota wins the Big

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Ranking the New York Jets Historical Helmets

There's no way you can't go with the Helmet they won the Super Bowl in. You just can't. Next, I really don't understand why they don't where the helmet with the Jet as their throwback uniforms. That helmet is awesome. Then I'm going with the Helmets from the 80s because it's the classic feel and the white face mask is 10 times better than the black one. And the rankings continue until you get to... The Titans Helmet. I hate everything about those Titan uniforms. The Helmets are boring and the colors are GOD awful. Navy blue and Mustard? What the hell is that. Disgusting. If they wore those unis when I was a kid I'd probably be a Giant fan, and be much happier with my life in football.