Skip to main content

The Yankees Broadcasters Are Terrible

As a lifelong Yankee fan I should really be able to sit and watch a game broadcast by the home stations and be able to enjoy myself but I just can't. They are miserable and often I find myself enjoying the Joe Buck changup when they play on FOX on the weekends. I can't believe I just said that, excuse me for a moment while cleanup the vomit on my floor...

Ok, so as I was saying, watching the Yankee broadcast and even worse listening to the radio is excruciating. Here's a rundown from the Yankee broadcasters who are OK to the worst of the worst...

9. Ken Singleton - Ken is really the only broadcaster the Yankees have the gets a lot of games that I truly enjoy listening to. He has a solid voice and is usually pretty informative and him and Jim Kaat last year doing games together were very good. Too bad friggin Kaat retired.

8. Bobby Murcer - Bobby is really good but since his cancer he hasn't been around nearly as much as he used to be, but when he is around he does a really good job. And if Singleton and him are together they can usually salvage a broadcast even if they are partnered with the largest douche on this list.

7. Joe Girardi - Joe is a really good broadcaster, but A) He doesn't do many games and B) He'll be gone at the end of the season, everyone knows this.

6. John Flaherty - Another catcher who couldn't hit a lick. Flaherty is alright up there, but nothing special.

5. Paul O'Neill - He's ok. But is mostly eh.

4. Al Leiter - He has his moments where he can be very annoying but atleast most of the times he's tolerable. By the way how many friggin game guys do you need YES, you have 6 guys that you can pull to do color commentary, is that a bit ridiculous.

And now the people that suck...

3. John Sterling - Ok most Yankee fans love Sterling and I'll be honest I typically enjoy his broadcast and some of his eccentricities, especially when he almost has a heart attack with his THHHHHHAAAAAA YAAAAANNNNNKKKKKEEEEESSSSS win. But here is a fact the guy can't see anymore. And almost once a week he blows a home run call. The worst of which came yesterday. With the Yanks down 2, Robbie Cano on 3rd and Melky Cabrera up at the plate with 1 out in the 7th, Melky hit a deep shot to left. And here is the essence of what Sterling said....

Sterling - "And there's a deep shot to left. It is high, it is far it is gone... And the Melkman delivers to make it a tie ball game at 4-4... Oh wait did Holliday catch it, he did? Oh Matt Holiday made the catch at the wall. They have a clear fence here in Colorado and I couldn't see it."

So this is me driving in the friggin car all excited that the Yanks tied up the game, a game they really needed, and it takes the dude 30+ seconds to tell me that the ball was caught and I haven't seen the ball yet but apparently it wasn't even that deep. Sterling, dude hang it up your blind as a bat or atleast invest in some binoculars.

2. Suzyn Waldman - Not long ago she had a conniption over the fact that Clemens had announced he was coming back to New York, which was just ludicrous. But all in all you will never here anything you care for out of the mouth of Waldman, its just one useless comment after another. The radio broadcast is so bad that during the Mets Yanks series if I'm in the car I choose to listen to the WFAN broadcast of Howie Rose and Tom McCarthy because they provide actual good broadcasting. I guess we can atleast take solace in the fact that she is now on radio instead of tv, gross...

1. Michael Kay - And the winner for biggest douche is Michael Kay. I don't think I can quite put into words how annoying he is. He'll repeat stuff over and over and over again inning after inning. For instance during the Rockie series every single time Troy Tulowitzki fielded a ball or was up at bat or stepped within a foot of Jeter he mentioned how the young SS grew up idolizing Jeter. Ok I guess you can do that once per game if you have nothing to talk about, but every friggen time he mentioned it. Furthermore, I pretty much disagree with 75% of the baseball strategy he brings up and I feel like the YES broadcast is much more informative whenever he is not in the booth.

He also has a tendency to bring up stuff on his radio show and criticise people, but when he gets to YES and puts on that corporate Yankee Pin Stripe hat he doesn't mention it at all. And last year he chimed in on the Arod saga every day saying fans shouldn't boo him and that Jeter needed to come out and tell fans to stop booing him. He's just an ass.

Your the friggin Yankees, you have the best funds of any sports team in the country and yet your main three broadcasters are just hideous to listen to. For gods sake if I had the choice I'd probably watch NESN and Remy for the Yanks Sox games over Kay. So basically the Yanks broadcast on YES could be good if they eliminated Kay or just got him to stop acting like he knows baseball, but the radio has no friggin hope, it is just doomed to suck.

Comments

Frank the Tank said…
What happend to david justice? didn't he used to do the games? Flaherty sucks, at least Paul O'Neil hit the ball in his career.
Unknown said…
Joe Buck is Satan. Nice props to the Remdawg, he's legit and funny as hell. His broadcast is also one of the only remaining ones that will pan to random hot chicks in the crowd when coming back or leaving for commercial breaks.

Popular posts from this blog

Lou Holtz is the Homer / Annoyingly Delusional

As my buddy Joe and I always joke, if Notre Dame was suiting up against an all Jesus team, aka a team made up of 55 Sons of God, Lou Holtz would probably still pick Notre Dame to win by a touchdown. So of course this weekend when I'm watching Sportscenter and they have him and fellow old man Corso making predictions, Lou picks ND to beat Michigan. Not that big of a deal, Michigan is a big question mark this year, but of course than Lou says that Notre Dame will win 11 games this year. This is the same Notre Dame that lost to a service academy last year. And just when you thought the douchy homerism was going to end ESPN asks which BCS school is going to be the biggest surprise team in the country. Any guesses to whom it was? I'll give you a clue it was another team he coached. If you guessed South Carolina you would be a winner. Next up on Lou's prediction watch, the Jets win the Superbowl, NC St. wins the ACC, Arkansas dominates the SEC West, Minnesota wins the Big

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Ranking the New York Jets Historical Helmets

There's no way you can't go with the Helmet they won the Super Bowl in. You just can't. Next, I really don't understand why they don't where the helmet with the Jet as their throwback uniforms. That helmet is awesome. Then I'm going with the Helmets from the 80s because it's the classic feel and the white face mask is 10 times better than the black one. And the rankings continue until you get to... The Titans Helmet. I hate everything about those Titan uniforms. The Helmets are boring and the colors are GOD awful. Navy blue and Mustard? What the hell is that. Disgusting. If they wore those unis when I was a kid I'd probably be a Giant fan, and be much happier with my life in football.