Skip to main content

Who the Hell Is Ricky Barnes?

I like to think of myself as having a wealth of knowledge in all sports. I feel as if you throw a golfers name out there and I could likely say, "Yup I've heard of him" and in most cases be able to pick the player out of a lineup. But on saturday when I turned on the US Open and saw "-8 Ricky Barnes" at the top of the leaderboard, I immediately thought to myself, "Umm who the hell is Ricky Barnes?".

Thinking back on it, I've probably heard the name floated around before, but I 100% would not have been able to pick him out of a lineup. But since he's still tied for the lead going into the "final day" of the US Open, I figure it's time we all get to know Ricky Barnes and his goofy hats.

Barnes won the US Amateur in 2002, which is the only real reason you may have heard of him. He beat Hunter Mahan in the finals and in 2003 he went on to play in the three majors the US Amateur Championship affords a player. He finished 21st in the Masters that year for his best Major finish of his career. He followed that up by making the cut at the US Open and missing the cut at the British Open.

And since 2003, well there's not much to talk about. This is only his 2nd Major appearance since he missed the cut at the British. The only other Major he made was the US Open in 2007 when he missed the cut. Additionally, his PGA resume is almost non-existant as well. Since 2003 he's bounced mostly through the Nationwide Tour, which unless you work for the Golf Channel I'm going to guarantee you don't pay attention to. Even this year, a year he's on the PGA Tour, his best finish at any event is 47th.

Perhaps the 2009 US Open will be his reintroduction to the world. In 2002 he obviously was amongst the most talented youngsters on the planet. Today we find out if his gritt and his gut will be able to hold on to the US Open lead and afford him the resume of a two time USGA Trophy Holder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lou Holtz is the Homer / Annoyingly Delusional

As my buddy Joe and I always joke, if Notre Dame was suiting up against an all Jesus team, aka a team made up of 55 Sons of God, Lou Holtz would probably still pick Notre Dame to win by a touchdown. So of course this weekend when I'm watching Sportscenter and they have him and fellow old man Corso making predictions, Lou picks ND to beat Michigan. Not that big of a deal, Michigan is a big question mark this year, but of course than Lou says that Notre Dame will win 11 games this year. This is the same Notre Dame that lost to a service academy last year. And just when you thought the douchy homerism was going to end ESPN asks which BCS school is going to be the biggest surprise team in the country. Any guesses to whom it was? I'll give you a clue it was another team he coached. If you guessed South Carolina you would be a winner. Next up on Lou's prediction watch, the Jets win the Superbowl, NC St. wins the ACC, Arkansas dominates the SEC West, Minnesota wins the Big

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Ranking the New York Jets Historical Helmets

There's no way you can't go with the Helmet they won the Super Bowl in. You just can't. Next, I really don't understand why they don't where the helmet with the Jet as their throwback uniforms. That helmet is awesome. Then I'm going with the Helmets from the 80s because it's the classic feel and the white face mask is 10 times better than the black one. And the rankings continue until you get to... The Titans Helmet. I hate everything about those Titan uniforms. The Helmets are boring and the colors are GOD awful. Navy blue and Mustard? What the hell is that. Disgusting. If they wore those unis when I was a kid I'd probably be a Giant fan, and be much happier with my life in football.