Skip to main content

Why Danny May Have Had No Choice

I set out this morning to write a post about what could have been for the Celtics if Danny decided to take an opposite path. Coming into this offseason the Danny had three options 1)Continue with Pierce in the Mix of a Youth Movement, 2) Trade all your Youth for 2 Superstars at the Tail-End of their primes or 3) Trade Pierce and go full force on the youth movement.

Option 1 really ensured no title so Danny pretty much needed to pick one of the latter two paths if the Celtics were to win a championship. We see how the roster is currently and we know that they have 3 NBA all stars and a bag of poo. If they can sign some free agents the remainder of the offseason or execute some contract dumps during the season than perhaps they will have a legit chance at a title. For now I think it's doubtful, but still more likely than if they stood pat with veteran youth mix.

But what could have been if Danny decided to take the other path. What kind of package would Pierce have brought in? So I found myself at ESPN Trade Machine searching for deals that would make sense to trade Pierce. I looked at the Bulls who had Ben Gordon and the 9th pick at their disposal which would have been a good trade for Pierce at both ends. But Gordon only makes 4 million. I tried to throw in Hinrich's larger contract instead of Gordon and still got nothing. I continued to look and look and look for a deal that would make sense for the Celtics. Namely to get a few expiring contracts to equal out Pierces 16 million and get a few young potential players / draft picks. And I just couldn't find a deal that would have really worked. Something that would have brought a legit package back to the Celtics to a team that would want Pierce's services towards a title.

So in all honesty maybe Danny had no choice but to go after the title with KG, Allen, Pierce and hopefully a few more veteran free agent signings. Maybe there just was nothing on the table for Pierce that could have even been deemed fair.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Quit back peddling
Simon said…
I still don't like the trade. But I'm trying to convince myself to get over the fact that we dumped a 22 year future stud for a 2 year window.
Simon said…
And perhaps enjoy the fact that I will get to watch more than 5 Celtic games this season.

Popular posts from this blog

Lou Holtz is the Homer / Annoyingly Delusional

As my buddy Joe and I always joke, if Notre Dame was suiting up against an all Jesus team, aka a team made up of 55 Sons of God, Lou Holtz would probably still pick Notre Dame to win by a touchdown. So of course this weekend when I'm watching Sportscenter and they have him and fellow old man Corso making predictions, Lou picks ND to beat Michigan. Not that big of a deal, Michigan is a big question mark this year, but of course than Lou says that Notre Dame will win 11 games this year. This is the same Notre Dame that lost to a service academy last year. And just when you thought the douchy homerism was going to end ESPN asks which BCS school is going to be the biggest surprise team in the country. Any guesses to whom it was? I'll give you a clue it was another team he coached. If you guessed South Carolina you would be a winner. Next up on Lou's prediction watch, the Jets win the Superbowl, NC St. wins the ACC, Arkansas dominates the SEC West, Minnesota wins the Big

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Ranking the New York Jets Historical Helmets

There's no way you can't go with the Helmet they won the Super Bowl in. You just can't. Next, I really don't understand why they don't where the helmet with the Jet as their throwback uniforms. That helmet is awesome. Then I'm going with the Helmets from the 80s because it's the classic feel and the white face mask is 10 times better than the black one. And the rankings continue until you get to... The Titans Helmet. I hate everything about those Titan uniforms. The Helmets are boring and the colors are GOD awful. Navy blue and Mustard? What the hell is that. Disgusting. If they wore those unis when I was a kid I'd probably be a Giant fan, and be much happier with my life in football.