Skip to main content

Recapping My 2008 NFL Season Predictions


Here is a breakdown by team of my predictions from worst to best. Predicted Record is in the parenthesis, actual record is in the brackets. Le'Ron is very very confused as to how I predicted them to win one game.

The Really Bad

Baltimore (1-15) [11-5] +10: Come on you thought Joe Flacco was going to lead them to the division title? My ass.

Detroit (8-8) [0-16] -8: So... I picked them to win the division. I've already beaten myself for this as well.

Atlanta (3-13) [11-5] -8: Come on you thought the friggin Falcons would be good?

St. Louis (8-8) [2-14] -6: Ya I kind of banked on them being mediocre in my fantasy league. They sucked and so did my fantasy team.

Carolina (6-10) [12-4] +6: Jake was coming off Tommy John surgery, did you really expect him to play really well?

New Orleans (14-2) [8-8] -6: They suffered too many injuries, but 14-2 was really never realistic.

Seattle (9-7) [4-12] -5: Too many injuries to come close to this mark.

Jacksonville (10-6) [5-11] -5: Don't really have any idea how this team fell off a cliff.

San Francisco (2-14) [7-9] +5: Maybe if Mike Nolan stayed on as coach they would have been closer to 2-14.

Miami (6-10) [11-5] +6: At 6-10, I was higher on the Dolphins than almost everyone. Nobody had them in the playoffs.

The Bad

Cincinnati (8-8) [4-11-1] -4: Carson Palmer going down equals a not .500 football team.

New England (15-1) [11-5] -4: Tom Brady going down equals a team not going to the Super Bowl.

Minnesota (6-10) [10-6] +4: The won 10 games cause their division sucks even more than I thought it would.

Kansas City (5-11) [2-14] -3: From awful prediction to very awful season.

San Diego (11-5) [8-8] -3: The Chargers severely underperformed this year.

Dallas (12-4) [9-7] -3: Tony Home getting hurt certainly didn't help the cowgirls.

Oakland (2-14) [5-11] +3: Are you kind of shocked to see that the Raiders won 5 games? I am, it certainly didn't seem like that.

Houston (5-11) [8-8] +3: If Schaub was healthy they would have done even better.

Chicago (6-10) [9-7] +3: Again I underestimated just how much their schedule sucked.

Tennessee (10-6) [13-3] +3: I had them in the playoffs, but certainly didn't have them as a #1 seed.

The Oh So Close

Cleveland (6-10) [4-12] -2: Everyone was way way way too high on the Browns going into this season. I was not.

Buffalo (9-7) [7-9] -2: The Bills were mediocre. Not surprising.

Denver (10-6) [8-8] -2: They probably should have gone 10-6 but did way too much choking down the stretch.

Pittsburgh (14-2) [12-4] -2: With Fast Willie out they didn't have much of a chance to get to 14-2.

Washington (6-10) [8-8] +2: They were mediocre instead of slightly worse than mediocre.

Tampa Bay (7-9) [9-7] +2: If only my Devil Rays prediction was this close.

New York Jets (10-6) [9-7] -1: They should have exceeded my expectations but instead the asphyxiation in December made them fall short.

Philadelphia (8-8) [9-7-1] +1: The Iggles looked like an 8-8 team or worse after the Ravens game, but they fought back and here they are on the Superbowl door step.

The On The Money

Green Bay (6-10) [6-10] +0: Hoorah for thinking the Packers would have lots of problems with Rodgers at the helm.

Arizona (9-7) [9-7] 0: Hoorah I had them winning the division.

New York Giants (12-4) [12-4] 0: I was high on the G-Men, unlike most who thought they would falter some, and they proved worthy of that praise. Well until the playoffs of course.

Indianapolis (12-4) [12-4] 0: Back to back years I got the Colts record right. Yippy.

Year 1 vs. Year 2 vs. Year 3

Here's the moral of the story, when I pick games I do it on a one by one basis. I look at Week 1 and pick all the games. I look at Week 2 and pick all the games. I look at Week 3, etc. Then when I finish week 17 I add up the records. I make no changes to my picks, I fiddle with nothing and I try to not think about the aggregate records when making the decisions in say Week 14. So what happens is that a lot of teams skew to high ends of the spectrum. For instance having so many teams at 12-4 or above is unrealistic. In the end my picks aren't safe and I give myself the opportunity to be really really wrong by picking teams to win 1 game. Anyway, this year the only thing I did better than the last two years was get the on the money right, other than that it was a poor showing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lou Holtz is the Homer / Annoyingly Delusional

As my buddy Joe and I always joke, if Notre Dame was suiting up against an all Jesus team, aka a team made up of 55 Sons of God, Lou Holtz would probably still pick Notre Dame to win by a touchdown. So of course this weekend when I'm watching Sportscenter and they have him and fellow old man Corso making predictions, Lou picks ND to beat Michigan. Not that big of a deal, Michigan is a big question mark this year, but of course than Lou says that Notre Dame will win 11 games this year. This is the same Notre Dame that lost to a service academy last year. And just when you thought the douchy homerism was going to end ESPN asks which BCS school is going to be the biggest surprise team in the country. Any guesses to whom it was? I'll give you a clue it was another team he coached. If you guessed South Carolina you would be a winner. Next up on Lou's prediction watch, the Jets win the Superbowl, NC St. wins the ACC, Arkansas dominates the SEC West, Minnesota wins the Big

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Ranking the New York Jets Historical Helmets

There's no way you can't go with the Helmet they won the Super Bowl in. You just can't. Next, I really don't understand why they don't where the helmet with the Jet as their throwback uniforms. That helmet is awesome. Then I'm going with the Helmets from the 80s because it's the classic feel and the white face mask is 10 times better than the black one. And the rankings continue until you get to... The Titans Helmet. I hate everything about those Titan uniforms. The Helmets are boring and the colors are GOD awful. Navy blue and Mustard? What the hell is that. Disgusting. If they wore those unis when I was a kid I'd probably be a Giant fan, and be much happier with my life in football.