Skip to main content

Tale of the Tape: Steve Spagnuolo vs. Rex Ryan

In all likelihood the Jets are going to sign another first time coach, instead of playing some Martyball, and currently the two front runners for the position are New York Giants Defensive Coordinator Steve Spagnuolou (the Spagosaurus) and Baltimore Ravens Defensive Coordinator Rex Ryan (Defensosaurus-Rex). So let's take a look at how they stack up against each other.


Age
The Spagosaurus 49, Defensosaurus-Rex 46
Three years difference isn't anything of note, especially for coaches in their 40s. Edge Push

College
The Spagosaurus Springfield College, Defensosaurus-Rex Eastern Kentucky:
That was like 25 years ago, and I'd imagine T-Rex was a heavy drinking machine. So... we give the edge to the Defensosaurus-Rex.

Punching Guys in the Face
The Spagosaurus no real evidence, Defensosaurus-Rex his father decked Kevin Gilbride:
Do you want a coach who would punch another coach in the face for a bad play call or not? I vote yes. Edge Defensosaurus-Rex.

Who Would Win a Fight
The Spagosaurus looks like he's in solid shape, Defensosaurus-Rex looks like he would fight dirty including low blows and biting:
A Fights a fight, win at all costs. Edge Defensosaurus-Rex.

Coaching Experience

The Spagosaurus: UMass Grad Assistant (82-83), Redskins Intern (84), Lafayette D-Line Coach (84-86), UConn DC (87-91), Barcelona Dragons D-Line Coach (92), Chargers Scout (93), Maine DC (93-94), Rutgers DBacks Coach (94-95), Bowling Green DBacks Coach (96-97), Frankfurt Galaxy (98), Eagles D Assistant (99-00), Eagles DBacks Coach (01-03), Eagles Linebackers Coach (04-06), Giants DC (07-08)

Defensosaurus-Rex: Eastern Kentucky D Ends (87-88), New Mexico Highlands DC (89), Morehead State DC (90-93), Cardinals LBs & DLine (94-95), University of Cincinnati DC (96-97), University of Oklahoma DC (98), Ravens D Assistant (99-04), Ravens DC (05-08), Ravens Assistant HC (08)

Talk about a carpet-bagger, the Spagosaurus was all over the place. D1-AA schools. NFL Europe Twice. An NFL Intern. An NFL Scout. At Rutgers. Meanwhile the Defensosaurus-Rex was strictly focused on defense defense defense which included defensive coordinator at two major college universities. We like the additional experience outside of defense for the Spagosaurus. So... Slight Edge to the Spagosaurus.

Defensive Scheme
The Spagosaurus 4-3, Defensosaurus-Rex 4-3 or 3-4:
This is incredibly important to me. Why? Because the Jets just spent 3 years getting personnel for a 3-4 and dumping their 4-3 personnel, I don't want the opposite to happen. Can Spags run a 3-4? Maybe. The Ravens did utilize the 3-4 defense for a given stretch, and because of this I think Rex is more likely to adapt to the Jets players. Big Edge to Defensosaurus-Rex.

More Likely to Piss People Off
The Spagosaurus has little evidence towards this, Defensosaurus-Rex is a Ryan they never give a shit:
We had political correctness the last 3 years with Eric 'I Don't Answer Any Question' Mangini. I think it's time to go back to the just say what you want to say mentality. Screw emulating the Pats and Bill Belicheat. Edge to Defensosaurus-Rex.

Offensive Philosophy
The Spagosaurus has little evidence towards offensive prowess, Defensosaurus-Rex probably can't pronounce offense:
I'd imagine either will be forced to stick with little Schotty on Offense, which is eh. So Edge to Push

Overall Winner: Defensosaurus-Rex
I've talked myself into Rex Ryan. I don't think I'm convinced he would be a good coach, but I do think he would be bad ass, in your face, I don't give a shit, I'll tell a reporter to go F himself, which would be fun. Plus I would like to call my head coach Defensosaurus-Rex for multiple years.

Comments

Simon said…
Now if only he grew out his brother Rob's I don't give a shit haircut.

Popular posts from this blog

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Numbers On Steroids: Mickey Mantle

Numbers on Steroids is a look at baseball players during the 90s to see if anything screams out at you. This week it's throwing a curve ball and looking at All Time Great Yankees. Players that we know did not take steroids to see if this gives a defense to any of the players 'convicted' by Numbers on Steroids. Time to look at my dad's favorite athlete of all time, Mickey Mantle. Averages Say: What's with the mysterious dip at 27 and then the uptick? At Bats Per Home Run Says: That's a mighty jump from 22 to 24 Explaining As If It Was the 90s If you take a look at the numbers there are two time frames which in the 1990s would be questioned. First would be the incredible leap he took from his first year in the big leagues to his first MVP season in 1956. His batting average jumped 50 points. His slugging percentage jumped 90 points and he hit 15 more homers than his previous high. This wouldn't merrit a conviction nowadays though because the young age he...

This Is Why the New York Mets Can't Win Anymore

It's pretty simple why the Mets can't win games anymore and are morphing into the second worst team in the National League, they can't score runs. The below chart shows exactly whats happenned to their offensive output since each of the major devastating injuries. The blue line shows runs scored for each game through out the season. The pink line shows the average runs the Mets scored when they had everyone, the yellow when they were missing Delgado, the light blue when they were missing Delgado and Reyes, and finally the purple when they were missing Delgado, Reyes and Beltran. In the abscence of Reyes, Delgado and Beltran the Mets are averaging barely over 3 runs per game. In stark contrast, with everyone on the roster the Mets were scoring just over 5 runs per game. That's a wholesale difference and why their roster now equals a lot of losses and a day by day progression further out of a playoff spot.