Skip to main content

The Blake Griffin Lottery

The 2009 NBA Draft Lottery is tonight and well I'm not that interested. If you flip through ESPN's mock draft lottery tool, there is not a single scenario where Blake Griffin does not get drafted first. In fact I have yet to see one scenario where Ricky Rubio does not get drafted second. Sure, Blake Griffin is a monster and Ricky Rubio is supposed to be some stud Euro-Point Guard, but neither seems a lock to be a perennial all star. It's not like landing either is going to jump a team like the ClipShow from irrelevance to playoff glory.

If this draft closely resembles any of the past its clearly the 1997 Draft, aka the Tim Duncan Lottery. We all knew Duncan was going 1 and Keith Van Horn was going #2. The rest of the picks were uninspiring. Sure Chauncey Billups has morphed into one of the best point guards in the league and for awhile T-Mac was one of the top scorers in the NBA, but neither was a guaranteed thing on draft day or for a few years. The rest of the draft picks were either complete busts or mediocre role players.

The 2009 draft seems likely to have similar results except of course Blake Griffin almost certainly does not equal Tim Duncan. Hasheem Thabeet has shown a softness unacceptable for a man who will bang bodies with the big boys. Could this potentially change? Yes. Is there any chance in hell I'd want to drop the #3 pick on him? No. But there's limited other options. Jordan Hill seems like a Joakim Noah-type hussler, not really a #4 draft pick. Harden disappeared in their tournament games. Can't say I've seen much of Holliday, DeRozan, or Jennings. Do James Johnson or DeJuan Blair scream superstar? Etc. Etc. Etc.

Overall this draft does not inspire much enthusiasm on my end. I have a limited feel on many of the players. The players I do have a feel on, I'm not particularly impressed. Throw in the fact that the top two picks are a lock and the Celtics are not invloved and this might just be the only NBA Draft post of the year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Numbers On Steroids: Mickey Mantle

Numbers on Steroids is a look at baseball players during the 90s to see if anything screams out at you. This week it's throwing a curve ball and looking at All Time Great Yankees. Players that we know did not take steroids to see if this gives a defense to any of the players 'convicted' by Numbers on Steroids. Time to look at my dad's favorite athlete of all time, Mickey Mantle. Averages Say: What's with the mysterious dip at 27 and then the uptick? At Bats Per Home Run Says: That's a mighty jump from 22 to 24 Explaining As If It Was the 90s If you take a look at the numbers there are two time frames which in the 1990s would be questioned. First would be the incredible leap he took from his first year in the big leagues to his first MVP season in 1956. His batting average jumped 50 points. His slugging percentage jumped 90 points and he hit 15 more homers than his previous high. This wouldn't merrit a conviction nowadays though because the young age he...

Guest Post: Thoughts on Sabathia Signing

I asked Grutt what his thoughts were on the Sabathia signing and I thought his response pretty much nailed it. So here it is. I don’t know. Every year I get a little more disenchanted with baseball. Yea, it’s great we signed the top pitching free agent. But we were supposed to. No team was even in the ballpark of the Yankees offer yet they still needed to jump from the already ridiculous price of $140 million to $160 million to close the deal. Now I hear we are going to sign more pitchers who will also get large contracts and the position player gaps are still glaring. Each new, large contract just adds to the feeling that the Yanks are supposed to win it all. “I think we have a good chance this year.” That is a lost feeling. If they don’t win I’ll wonder why, like there has to be some other reason besides that it’s a sport you can never predict how things will work out and some years just aren’t yours to be won. If they win I will be pleasantly smug. It gets a little more...