Skip to main content

Let's Try to Blow Things Out of Proportion A Little Bit

Ok, I'm finally annoyed enough to bring up the Michael Phelps bong ripping picture. I was hoping that it would just blow away quickly and not be a part of the news but alas he's been dropped from his Kellogg's dumped him as a sponsor and the US Swimming Association suspended him for 3 months (which my guess is a completely meaningless suspension cause their events are probably in the summer).

Now let me preface this rant with two things, first I'm not the biggest Phelps fan in the world and second I myself have never smoked up before (why is a story for another day). When you were in college, what percentage of your friends tried pot? 50 to 75 Percent Maybe? 95 Percent if you were in school in the 70s. Did you yourself try it? Probably. So why kill a kid in his lower 20s for smoking up when chances are good you did the same thing at his age.

And what about pop culture? Are people ignorant that 95% of rock or rap artists have at least one song on their last album that had to do with some form of drugs? We even have songs on pop radio stations that are solely about smoking up. Think "I Get High High High High" or "Because I Get High". It's ok for little kids to sing "I was Gonna Clean Me Room Until I Got High", but it's not ok for Phelps to smoke up once or twice. Your kids are going to smoke up when they get to college, and it won't be a picture of Michael Phelps with a bong that leads them to do so.

If I've got a problem with anything in this story it's with whoever took the picture. How much money did you get paid for selling that picture? Apparently he's never seen Scent of a Women and Pacino's speech on snitching.

Just in case you really want to put this in perspective, if the leader of the free world can smoke up "frequently" as a kid and still be ok to win the election, than I think Phelps will be able to swim just fine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lou Holtz is the Homer / Annoyingly Delusional

As my buddy Joe and I always joke, if Notre Dame was suiting up against an all Jesus team, aka a team made up of 55 Sons of God, Lou Holtz would probably still pick Notre Dame to win by a touchdown. So of course this weekend when I'm watching Sportscenter and they have him and fellow old man Corso making predictions, Lou picks ND to beat Michigan. Not that big of a deal, Michigan is a big question mark this year, but of course than Lou says that Notre Dame will win 11 games this year. This is the same Notre Dame that lost to a service academy last year. And just when you thought the douchy homerism was going to end ESPN asks which BCS school is going to be the biggest surprise team in the country. Any guesses to whom it was? I'll give you a clue it was another team he coached. If you guessed South Carolina you would be a winner. Next up on Lou's prediction watch, the Jets win the Superbowl, NC St. wins the ACC, Arkansas dominates the SEC West, Minnesota wins the Big

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Ranking the New York Jets Historical Helmets

There's no way you can't go with the Helmet they won the Super Bowl in. You just can't. Next, I really don't understand why they don't where the helmet with the Jet as their throwback uniforms. That helmet is awesome. Then I'm going with the Helmets from the 80s because it's the classic feel and the white face mask is 10 times better than the black one. And the rankings continue until you get to... The Titans Helmet. I hate everything about those Titan uniforms. The Helmets are boring and the colors are GOD awful. Navy blue and Mustard? What the hell is that. Disgusting. If they wore those unis when I was a kid I'd probably be a Giant fan, and be much happier with my life in football.