Skip to main content

Just Glad the Decision is Made

I figure I should chime in on the whole Joe Torre scenerio from yesterday and what I personally feel about the entire process.

First off I think that Steinbrenner got exactly what he wanted. I don't think he wanted him back, I think that they took a over a week to cool Steinbrenner down and see if the rabid Torre support would go away and when it didn't he felt pressured to offer him a contract. And was probably pleased when it was refused.

Now this is what I personally feel. Let's face it, the dynasty has been over for a long time. It's been 7 years since they've won a World Championship, 4 since they reached the World Series, to put it bluntly they have underperformed. The last time they won I was a senior in high school. Since then we've witnessed the biggest collapse in sports history and 3 straight ousters in the first round. Not good. And this is why I think they offered him a completely fair contract. Joe Torre should not be making twice the salary of any manager in the majors. They offered him a deal in which he would still garner 1.5 million more than the #2 man, and that's if he missed out on all of the Yankees goals. If he didn't make the World Series next year it would be time for him to go. I personally think Torre should have just taken the ego hit and signed the deal, but I'm not going to kill him for rejecting the deal.

So where do I sit now? Relatively indifferent to the whole situation. I don't believe for a second that Torre being retained has significant impact on whether or not the Yankees will be able to bring back Posada, Mo, Pettitte and Arod. If Girardi or Mattingly there will be absolutely no impact at all. If an outside guy is brought in, I don't think it makes a major deal either.

As for who I want as manager, right now I'm equally indifferent. I just don't think it will be a precipitous fall no matter who they bring in. They have the largest payroll in baseball by a mile, and now they have low paid burgeoning talents to supplement the team with. The Yankees are going to be fine in 2008 and beyond. Joe Torre in reality was probably the least important of the five (Mo, Posada, Pettitte and Arod) for the future success of the franchise.

Basically I'm just glad it's over and everyone can just move on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lou Holtz is the Homer / Annoyingly Delusional

As my buddy Joe and I always joke, if Notre Dame was suiting up against an all Jesus team, aka a team made up of 55 Sons of God, Lou Holtz would probably still pick Notre Dame to win by a touchdown. So of course this weekend when I'm watching Sportscenter and they have him and fellow old man Corso making predictions, Lou picks ND to beat Michigan. Not that big of a deal, Michigan is a big question mark this year, but of course than Lou says that Notre Dame will win 11 games this year. This is the same Notre Dame that lost to a service academy last year. And just when you thought the douchy homerism was going to end ESPN asks which BCS school is going to be the biggest surprise team in the country. Any guesses to whom it was? I'll give you a clue it was another team he coached. If you guessed South Carolina you would be a winner. Next up on Lou's prediction watch, the Jets win the Superbowl, NC St. wins the ACC, Arkansas dominates the SEC West, Minnesota wins the Big

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Ranking the New York Jets Historical Helmets

There's no way you can't go with the Helmet they won the Super Bowl in. You just can't. Next, I really don't understand why they don't where the helmet with the Jet as their throwback uniforms. That helmet is awesome. Then I'm going with the Helmets from the 80s because it's the classic feel and the white face mask is 10 times better than the black one. And the rankings continue until you get to... The Titans Helmet. I hate everything about those Titan uniforms. The Helmets are boring and the colors are GOD awful. Navy blue and Mustard? What the hell is that. Disgusting. If they wore those unis when I was a kid I'd probably be a Giant fan, and be much happier with my life in football.