Skip to main content

Manny Might Enjoy Rib Massage Next Season


I find myself to be somewhere in between the middle of the general consensus when it comes to celebrations. Sometimes I'm perfectly fine with over the top celebrations and other times I think they're close to disgraceful. Last weeks walkoff homer from Manny Ramirez I was the former. It was a walk off homer, it's cause for massive celebration. If you want to sit in the box and stare at your majestic game winner go ahead, you in fact probably should make the moment last as long as possible. Last night however was completely different.

Back in the ole Fraternity days, I was thrust in Red Sox Nation and there were plenty of tolerable fans who were knowledgeable about baseball and understood the difference of game situations. And then there were a few who would jump up and down as if the the Red Sox won the Series with every beneficial moment regardless of the game situation. This absolutely drove me crazy. If your team scores a run to cut a deficit from 5 runs to 4 runs it's cause for muted celebration, not running around the fraternity house yelling at the top of your lungs.

And this brings me back to Manny. Last nights homer was semi historic, back to back to back home runs is a historical playoff accomplishment which has only been accomplished once prior, however in the grand scheme it simply cut the deficit from 5 runs to 4 runs. It wasn't that important of a hit, at the end of the game the Red Sox lost by the same exact score. So instead of treating the home run as what it was, a hit to inch the game closer, Manny once again treated it like he had hit a walkoff homerun, complete with spirit finger waving, a staredown in the batters box, and a leaping hug into Papi's arms while entering the dugout. Simply put, he acted like a complete ass last night. He showed up Indians pitcher Jensen Lewis, who proceeded to shut down the Sox the next 2 frames, and should not be surprised if sometime early in the season during a Red Sox/Indians series he receives a nice 95 mph circular rib massage.

Comments

Anonymous said…
In Manny's defense, he was unaware of the score/inning at the time. He also thought it was pre-2000 when the Jake was his home field.

I wish I could make 20 million a year, play baseball year round and act like I am stoned all of the time.
Anonymous said…
Act like hes stoned? What do you think hes doing when he runs in the Monster mid-inning for a few minutes? It only takes 30 seconds to piss
Bob Kraft said…
I felt the same way until I heard Golic this morning. It was three runs right away, no outs, building momentum. Is it that hard to think that the sox can't put up 4 runs to tie it, following that 7 run inning (Obviously they didn't)? It's not like he stared people down and taunted the fans. Why can't people celebrate in baseball? It's only excepted after someone hits a homerun to stare straight, show no emotion and get back in the game. Let me get the rule book out, ok, a player is only allowed to celebrate on a walk off, if he hits one to take the lead,.... It's just stupid. Well I do think he shouldn't have done that, I don't think its that big of a deal and everyone just needs to settle down.

Side note, is it necessary for a curtain call after a homerun in the 2nd or 3rd inning?

Side note 2, is anyone else getting sick of the yankees suck, red sox suck, wakefield sucks, manny sucks, papi sucks, etc. chants? I'd put my hands in the air too if I just hit a homerun after that chant.
Anonymous said…
Im with Bob Kraft on the curtain calls. The only time a player should do a curtain call is if at the very end of a game, the fans stick around cheering and waiting for the player to come out of locker room/dug out. Other than that it is retarded.

Also, I am 99% sure that one of Ted Williams' legacies is that he would always refuse to do a curtain call.
Simon said…
Certainly they can put up 4 runs... but they hadn't. Similarly when you score a touchdown to cut a deficit to 14, you shouldn't be hugging the cheerleaders. You shouldn't be overly happy, you're still losing. By a decent margin.

Curtain Calls should be reserved for multiple home run games. Or pitcher who shutsdown a team through 7 or 8 innings.
Anonymous said…
The Cleveland fans are super obnoxious. I thought red sox fans followed by yankees fans were the worst, but I was wrong.

The towel wave? They can't do better then that?

I think that was Manny's way of flipping off the Cleveland fans for being so ridiculous.

Being someone that has been stuck in Cleveland for a day and a night due to flight delays, I can tell you that the people there don't have much to live for. That city sucks.

Popular posts from this blog

Lou Holtz is the Homer / Annoyingly Delusional

As my buddy Joe and I always joke, if Notre Dame was suiting up against an all Jesus team, aka a team made up of 55 Sons of God, Lou Holtz would probably still pick Notre Dame to win by a touchdown. So of course this weekend when I'm watching Sportscenter and they have him and fellow old man Corso making predictions, Lou picks ND to beat Michigan. Not that big of a deal, Michigan is a big question mark this year, but of course than Lou says that Notre Dame will win 11 games this year. This is the same Notre Dame that lost to a service academy last year. And just when you thought the douchy homerism was going to end ESPN asks which BCS school is going to be the biggest surprise team in the country. Any guesses to whom it was? I'll give you a clue it was another team he coached. If you guessed South Carolina you would be a winner. Next up on Lou's prediction watch, the Jets win the Superbowl, NC St. wins the ACC, Arkansas dominates the SEC West, Minnesota wins the Big

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Ranking the New York Jets Historical Helmets

There's no way you can't go with the Helmet they won the Super Bowl in. You just can't. Next, I really don't understand why they don't where the helmet with the Jet as their throwback uniforms. That helmet is awesome. Then I'm going with the Helmets from the 80s because it's the classic feel and the white face mask is 10 times better than the black one. And the rankings continue until you get to... The Titans Helmet. I hate everything about those Titan uniforms. The Helmets are boring and the colors are GOD awful. Navy blue and Mustard? What the hell is that. Disgusting. If they wore those unis when I was a kid I'd probably be a Giant fan, and be much happier with my life in football.