Tuesday, November 24, 2009
Blogging the Offseason is a 30 team series in which I ask a blogging representative from each MLB team a series of ten questions about their desires and thoughts surrounding the offseason. Check out all of them here.
Today's AL team is the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim and our guest is Jim from the Angels Blog, Halos Heaven.
1. Both Lackey and Escobar are free agents this year. Will the Angels bring either back? If not whom will they target as a replacement?
My fear is that they replaced Lackey with Kazmir in August. Not a "fear" like being afraid of death, but more than a worry. Escobar is done I think.
2. I feel as if Chone Figgins is going to get overpaid this offseason. Will the Angels be the ones to overpay? If not how will they replace them?
I hope they are not the ones who overpay Figgy. Wood will be fine at 3B.
3. What did you think about the Kazmir trade when it happenned? What do you expect from him in 2010?
I think the Angels expect him to be the ace. It was unfortunate that he did not get a lot of run support in that people would be more relaxed with the idea of him replacing Lackey, but the club is locked in. With Butcher as his pitching coach - and Mike was the coach in Tampa in '06 when Kazmir had his best season - I think we get near-ace stuff from Scott.
4. Vlad the Impaler is also a free agent this offseason. He's your DH again in 2010 correct?
Mine yes. Arte's? No.
5. Brandon Wood is now 24 years old. He's been your best prospect for awhile now and he's pretty much crushed AAA pitching. Is this the year he makes a big impact?
People rolled their eyes when I said not to worry about losing Teixeira because of Kendry Morales... Wood will be an upgrade over Figgins in every way except speed and frankly I won't miss the caught-stealings.
6. As a Yankee fan, every time I see Howie Kendrick I think that man can't be gotten out. Will he be able to step it up for an entire season in 2010? What were his issues in 2009?
He fell into a funk and was sent down to the minors. He is too afraid of injuries to crowd the plate like he used to and had to adjust to laying off of the outside stuff. If he has turned a corner he has another two years I believe it show us his ceiling. Elevator going up!
7. You've gassed your owner and convinced him to spend like the Yankees, which three free agents are you bringing to the Anaheim?
Bring back Lackey and Darren Oliver and wait to see what 2011 has.
8. Which Angels prospect are you most looking forward to seeing in 2010 and beyond?
Hank Conger is a switch-hitting Korean-American catcher with power from both sides. He will be in AAA this year. That is something to get excited about. Alexi Amarista is batting almost .400 in Winter ball in Venezuela after hitting .377 in rookie league ball ... he is a 5'6" infielder with gap power. There is almost a freakshow element in this.
9. I'm giving you the option to cut players without any salary repercussions, which Halos do you part way with?
Gary Matthews Jr. is the last of the bad Bill Stoneman signings.
10. Final Question, you've got a crystal ball, the Angels will win the World Series in _______.
3 out of the next 10 seasons.