Tuesday, November 10, 2009
Blogging the Offseason is a 30 team series in which I ask a blogging representative from each MLB team a series of ten questions about their desires and thoughts surrounding the offseason. Check out all of them here.
Today's NL team is the San Francisco Giants and our guest Giants fan is Zach from The Big Picture.
1. Will the Giants sign an offseason bat that's actually worth the money, or will they again throw money at someone well past his prime like they did Renteria?
I doubt it. I really do. When guys like Jason Bay and Matt Holliday are the "big names" who want $100 million, I just don't see it as a good investment. They'll probably try to get some smaller names who could make big impacts -- starting with resigning Juan Uribe.
2. Bengie Molina is a free agent this offseason, are you in favor of resigning him or simpling rolling the dice with Buster Posey? What do you think the Giants do?
I like Molina's heart. I like his bat about 30% of the time. I like his handling of the pitchers 80% of the time. BUT HE'S A LIABILITY ON THE BASES! The running joke with Benjie is that it'll take a triple to score him from second.
His contract isn't a major issue, so I'd keep him around to mentor Posey and start really working Posey in there by mid-season.
3. Madison Bumgarner will be in the Giants rotation on what date?
When Penny gets hurt. Is early April too pessimistic?
4. The Giants traded for Freddy Sanchez near the deadline. WHY? And will they pick up his option this offseason?
Don't ask! Hated that trade then and hate it even more now. Aside from giving up a prized prospect (Tim Alderson), they were acquiring a hitter who had little power and couldn't take a walk. He IS EVERY FUCKING HITTER ALREADY IN THE GIANTS' LINEUP! They resigned him because he's good for 75 games played, a .290 average and 8 homers; Brian Sabean wanted to have a guy who fits right in.
5. Which Giant free agent pitcher do you want on the 2010 roster, Randy Johnson or Brad Penny or both?
Penny hands down. Loved the pick up at the time -- the guy can pitch in the National League. I think a lot of teams would love him as their first starter.
6. What would it take for you as a Giant fan to be ok with Sabean dealing either Lincecum or Cain?
Let's keep names out of this:
-Your two best hitters
-Your best pitcher
-A free night with the hottest wife
-Your first-round pick the next three years
-A 24-pack of beer (and not the bad shit, either)
-A high-paying job in your organization
-Maybe your second-best pitcher too
7. You've gassed your owner and have convinced him to spend like the Yankees, which three free agents do you sign?
Yikes. Bad year for that. For the Giants' needs, I'd go:
1. Matt Holliday
2. Carl Crawford
3. Josh Beckett
8. Which Giant prospect are you most looking forward to in 2010?
I'll give the nod to Posey over Bumgarner because I forgot what it looks like to see someone hit well.
9. I'm giving you the option to cut players without any salary repercussions, which Giants do you part way with?
You were expecting me to say Zito, huh?
Any batter who can't draw a walk or sacrifice a runner is wasted space in my book.
10. Final Question, you've got a crystal ball, the Giants win the NL West in...