Skip to main content

Blogging the Offseason: San Diego Padres

Blogging the Offseason is a 30 team series in which I ask a blogging representative from each MLB team a series of ten questions about their desires and thoughts surrounding the offseason. Check out all of them here.

Today's team is the San Diego Padres and our guest is JBOX from the Padres Blog Gaslamp Ball.

1. I think this is the obvious question on everybody's mind, will the Padres trade Adrian Gonzalez? Do you think they should? Why?
I think the Padres should consider and be open to trading Adrian Gonzalez. Whether they should actually trade him or not depends on what they are offered in return. If they can trade their best player so that the overall team becomes better than they should.

2. Say the Padres do keep Gonzalez, he obviously needs some lineup protection, is there anyone on the market that you think the Padres will go after to fill that need?
I don't think the Padres have any intention of going after anyone at this point. They will live and die by the youth on the team that they already have. Kyle Blanks, Kevin Kouzmanoff and Chase Headley will probably be the only protection that Adrian will get next season.

3. You've got a new GM in Jed Hoyer, former right hand man of Theo, what do you know about Jed and what do you think about the signing?
Honestly I don't know much about Hoyer at this point. The Padres are looking for someone to strategize and revamp the farm system apparently and they feel that Hoyer is the guy to do it.

4. Do you find it odd that the Sox have a standing offer with Kevin Towers to basically take Jed Hoyer's role? It's like you are flip flopping front office men.
It sounds like a good move by Boston. Towers has been doing so much with so little for so long that if he got a Boston budget to work with he'd be unstoppable!

5. Your starting rotation in April will be whom?
Chris Young, Mat Latos, Clayton Richard, Cesar Ramos, Sean Gallagher. I think Chris Young is really overrated though.

6. Will the Padres deal the Kouz or Headley or just try to find room for both?
I hope they trade one of them, preferably Kouzmanoff. For some reason everybody is so high on him right now because they put his glove in Cooperstown and he didn't suck as bad as he did in the first half of the season. Now is the time to trade him while his stock is up.

7. You've gassed your owner and have convinced him to spend like the Yankees, which three free agents do you sign?
As a Padres fan it's futile to study the free agent market. Why torture yourself looking at players that you will never acquire? If you force me to choose than I pick Mark Prior, he deserves a third chance. (ed. note solid choice)

8. Which Padre prospect yet to find himself in a game are you most looking forward to in 2010?
I think all of our Padres prospects are on the Major League Club right now. That was the goal last season, to get a look at as many young players as possible in the second half of the season.

9. I'm giving you the option to cut players without any salary repercussions, which Padres do you part way with?
That's a tough one because salary's barely an issue now. Brian Giles I guess. Is he still on the team?

10. Final Question, you've got a crystal ball, the San Diego Padres will make the playoffs in ________.
2011. New influx of money. No drama in the front office. 2011 we go all the way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Numbers On Steroids: Mickey Mantle

Numbers on Steroids is a look at baseball players during the 90s to see if anything screams out at you. This week it's throwing a curve ball and looking at All Time Great Yankees. Players that we know did not take steroids to see if this gives a defense to any of the players 'convicted' by Numbers on Steroids. Time to look at my dad's favorite athlete of all time, Mickey Mantle. Averages Say: What's with the mysterious dip at 27 and then the uptick? At Bats Per Home Run Says: That's a mighty jump from 22 to 24 Explaining As If It Was the 90s If you take a look at the numbers there are two time frames which in the 1990s would be questioned. First would be the incredible leap he took from his first year in the big leagues to his first MVP season in 1956. His batting average jumped 50 points. His slugging percentage jumped 90 points and he hit 15 more homers than his previous high. This wouldn't merrit a conviction nowadays though because the young age he...

Guest Post: Thoughts on Sabathia Signing

I asked Grutt what his thoughts were on the Sabathia signing and I thought his response pretty much nailed it. So here it is. I don’t know. Every year I get a little more disenchanted with baseball. Yea, it’s great we signed the top pitching free agent. But we were supposed to. No team was even in the ballpark of the Yankees offer yet they still needed to jump from the already ridiculous price of $140 million to $160 million to close the deal. Now I hear we are going to sign more pitchers who will also get large contracts and the position player gaps are still glaring. Each new, large contract just adds to the feeling that the Yanks are supposed to win it all. “I think we have a good chance this year.” That is a lost feeling. If they don’t win I’ll wonder why, like there has to be some other reason besides that it’s a sport you can never predict how things will work out and some years just aren’t yours to be won. If they win I will be pleasantly smug. It gets a little more...