Monday, November 09, 2009
Blogging the Offseason is a 30 team series in which I ask a blogging representative from each MLB team a series of ten questions about their desires and thoughts surrounding the offseason. Check out all of them here.
Today's team is the San Diego Padres and our guest is JBOX from the Padres Blog Gaslamp Ball.
1. I think this is the obvious question on everybody's mind, will the Padres trade Adrian Gonzalez? Do you think they should? Why?
I think the Padres should consider and be open to trading Adrian Gonzalez. Whether they should actually trade him or not depends on what they are offered in return. If they can trade their best player so that the overall team becomes better than they should.
2. Say the Padres do keep Gonzalez, he obviously needs some lineup protection, is there anyone on the market that you think the Padres will go after to fill that need?
I don't think the Padres have any intention of going after anyone at this point. They will live and die by the youth on the team that they already have. Kyle Blanks, Kevin Kouzmanoff and Chase Headley will probably be the only protection that Adrian will get next season.
3. You've got a new GM in Jed Hoyer, former right hand man of Theo, what do you know about Jed and what do you think about the signing?
Honestly I don't know much about Hoyer at this point. The Padres are looking for someone to strategize and revamp the farm system apparently and they feel that Hoyer is the guy to do it.
4. Do you find it odd that the Sox have a standing offer with Kevin Towers to basically take Jed Hoyer's role? It's like you are flip flopping front office men.
It sounds like a good move by Boston. Towers has been doing so much with so little for so long that if he got a Boston budget to work with he'd be unstoppable!
5. Your starting rotation in April will be whom?
Chris Young, Mat Latos, Clayton Richard, Cesar Ramos, Sean Gallagher. I think Chris Young is really overrated though.
6. Will the Padres deal the Kouz or Headley or just try to find room for both?
I hope they trade one of them, preferably Kouzmanoff. For some reason everybody is so high on him right now because they put his glove in Cooperstown and he didn't suck as bad as he did in the first half of the season. Now is the time to trade him while his stock is up.
7. You've gassed your owner and have convinced him to spend like the Yankees, which three free agents do you sign?
As a Padres fan it's futile to study the free agent market. Why torture yourself looking at players that you will never acquire? If you force me to choose than I pick Mark Prior, he deserves a third chance. (ed. note solid choice)
8. Which Padre prospect yet to find himself in a game are you most looking forward to in 2010?
I think all of our Padres prospects are on the Major League Club right now. That was the goal last season, to get a look at as many young players as possible in the second half of the season.
9. I'm giving you the option to cut players without any salary repercussions, which Padres do you part way with?
That's a tough one because salary's barely an issue now. Brian Giles I guess. Is he still on the team?
10. Final Question, you've got a crystal ball, the San Diego Padres will make the playoffs in ________.
2011. New influx of money. No drama in the front office. 2011 we go all the way.