Skip to main content

My College Football Polling Philosophy

Before we get started and I get yelled at for not having Florida or Texas at #1 I shall explain my polling philosophy. My philosophy is this, the poll should be entirely resume based and should act as such: if today was the last day before the BCS bowl was announced who has done the most to qualify for that spot. I do this by using just two simple ranking criteria, Quality Wins and Bad Losses.

The Point of the Poll

I want do away with Preseason Biases that hinder so many polls around the country. If Vanderbilt goes out wins their first ten games and in the process beats Ole Miss, LSU, Florida and Georgia Tech, there should be no reason I should feel guilty jumping them over a Texas team that I had ranked third to start the season.

So instead of anchoring teams at the start of the year at where I think there talent levels are on a week to week basis, I simply judge them on what has happenned. What good teams they've beaten and what their bad losses are.

Quality Wins

I want to know what good teams you beat not just your generic win total. So essentially when Florida beats Charleston Southern, I don't care if it's by 3 or by 103. Playing Charleston Southern is a waste of time and really shows nothing important about Florida's chances to win the title. But when they beat Georgia in the cocktail party, that has significant meaning.

Bad Losses

I define a Bad Loss as one of two things. A) A Loss to a team you clearly should have beaten or B) Getting Blown Out by a Team you should have been competetive with.

So what does this do? I try to use it as a barometer to not severely punish those teams that pick up competetive losses. The reason being if Texas and Oklahoma play each other, than someone has to lose. The team that wins should be rewarded heavily, but should the team that loses be punished? Not severely in my opinion.

In general my poll is very fluid especially at the start of the season. The reason being, if you haven't beaten a good team yet, than I know nothing about you. I believe this is the best way to create a poll as it tries to pull you away from the bias of preseason rankings and focus on simple facts. I believe that by focusing solely on Quality Wins and Bad Losses that in the end you reward those teams that go out of their way to play competetive football games against good teams.

Is a Quality Win always Quality or a Bad Loss Always Bad?

No. Say I think beating Virginia Tech is a quality win in the opening week but then they go on and lose their next 5 games. Obviously its meaning isn't what I thought, and so the Quality Win would be removed.

So How Does the Poll Usually Play Out

The poll is incredibly fluid in the opening weeks. Teams will bounce around heavily as the schedules and quality wins build up and will begin to stabilize towards the end of the season and act more like a traditional poll.

Any Other Questions, Feel Free to Yell at Me in the Comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lou Holtz is the Homer / Annoyingly Delusional

As my buddy Joe and I always joke, if Notre Dame was suiting up against an all Jesus team, aka a team made up of 55 Sons of God, Lou Holtz would probably still pick Notre Dame to win by a touchdown. So of course this weekend when I'm watching Sportscenter and they have him and fellow old man Corso making predictions, Lou picks ND to beat Michigan. Not that big of a deal, Michigan is a big question mark this year, but of course than Lou says that Notre Dame will win 11 games this year. This is the same Notre Dame that lost to a service academy last year. And just when you thought the douchy homerism was going to end ESPN asks which BCS school is going to be the biggest surprise team in the country. Any guesses to whom it was? I'll give you a clue it was another team he coached. If you guessed South Carolina you would be a winner. Next up on Lou's prediction watch, the Jets win the Superbowl, NC St. wins the ACC, Arkansas dominates the SEC West, Minnesota wins the Big

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Ranking the New York Jets Historical Helmets

There's no way you can't go with the Helmet they won the Super Bowl in. You just can't. Next, I really don't understand why they don't where the helmet with the Jet as their throwback uniforms. That helmet is awesome. Then I'm going with the Helmets from the 80s because it's the classic feel and the white face mask is 10 times better than the black one. And the rankings continue until you get to... The Titans Helmet. I hate everything about those Titan uniforms. The Helmets are boring and the colors are GOD awful. Navy blue and Mustard? What the hell is that. Disgusting. If they wore those unis when I was a kid I'd probably be a Giant fan, and be much happier with my life in football.