Wednesday, April 09, 2008
The greatest golf tournament on the planet starts tomorrow and you should be watching
all day from 4-7 when it's on ESPN (what lengthy coverage). Here's a quick rankings of the best pairings the Masters has to offer and when they will be teeing off on Thursday.
1. 10:45 a.m. T. Woods A. Cabrera S. Appleby - They could put Tiger with two amateurs and he'd still be the show. Put him with two solid players and their the #1 group to watch.
2. 10:23 a.m. Z. Johnson L. Donald G. Ogilvy - The defending champ plus two serious title contenders makes this pairing a phenomenal watch.
3. 1:52 p.m. E. Els S. Katayama J. Furyk - People may think watching past major winners Furyk and Els would be the reason to watch this group. Rather the true reason is to see Shingo's hat.
4. 1:19 p.m. A. Scott P. Casey R. Goosen - Retief as I mentioned earlier has finished top three the past three years. Casey has two top ten finishes while Scott is an excellent player who has yet to have a great Master's showing.
5. 1:41 p.m. P. Mickelson A. Romero K. Choi - If not just to see if Phil has increased the size of his man boobs.
6. 2:03 p.m. A. Baddeley C. Villegas L. Westwood - Three very good foreign golfers, plus Villegas is an entertaining player to watch.
7. 10:34 a.m. M. Weir P. Harrington J. Singh - Paddy could be in serious contention come the final day and Weir always plays well at the Masters.
8. 1:08 p.m. B. Watson S. Garcia M. Calcavecchia - Will Sergio bust out an all white outfit or a different monotone color scheme at any point this weekend?
9. 10:12 a.m. J. Olazabal W. Liang R. Sabbatini - If only so you can heckle Sabbatini, or cheer him in hopes that he pairs with Woods at some point.
10. 12:46 p.m. R. Floyd D. Weaver J. Byrd - Chances are the VaTech amateur Weaver will only be around on thursday and friday so he should get some cheers while he's still on the course.
11. 8:44 a.m. G. Player M. Jimenez D. Trahan - With Jack and Arnie no longer in the field, Player gives us that last epic golfer from the past.
12. 10:56 a.m. J. Rose H. Stenson T. Taniguchi - If you don't want to cheer for an American and would like country diversity this is the perfect group to watch. A Brit, Swede and a Jap.
13. 12:57 p.m. B. Langer P. Marksaeng W. Austin - With Woody Austin there is always the possibility of a smashed putter or flip out.
14. 1:30 p.m. V. Singh S. Stricker S. Cink - I'm not much of Vijay guy.
15. 8:22 a.m. M. O'Meara T. Kuehne I. Poulter - This group ranks this high solely for the hope that Poulter wears more ridiculous clothing or has some ridiculous hair.
16. 12:24 p.m. T. Watson B. Snedeker J. Senden - Tom Watson hasn't made a cut in five years. Let's see if the old man can get it done this weekend.
17. 11:40 a.m. B. Weekley T. Immelman S. O'Hair - If only so you can ironically jeer Boo Weekley in a low pitched voice.
18. 8:55 a.m. J. Leonard C. Howell III N. Watney - Leonard has had a phenomenal year thus far.
19. 9:39 a.m. F. Couples J. Kelly A. Hansen - Some people love cheering for Freddy but I'd rather tune in elsewhere.
20. 9:06 a.m. S. Verplank R. Allenby M. Campbell - Two solid golfers and one of those fluke major winners that gets to stick around despite being worse than everybody but the old timers and amateurs.
21. 12:35 p.m. T. Clark D. Toms N. Fasth - Tim Clark will make you feel better about your physique.
22. 8:33 a.m. L. Mize P. Lonard H. Mahan - They really loaded up on those exciting early pairings...
23. 8:11 a.m. F. Zoeller B. Wetterich H. Slocum - Perhaps Fuzzy will say something controversial during an interview.
24. 11:18 a.m. C. Stadler J. Wagner S. Flesch - The Walrus is cool in mostly name only.
25. 9:50 a.m. V. Taylor M. Kaymer A. Oberholser - Kaymer is the lowest ranked player in ESPNs Best Ball rankings this week. I selected him. Let's see if he makes the cut.
26. 9:17 a.m. B. Crenshaw M. Thompson N. O'Hern - Ben seems like a nice guy, just not exactly a classic must see golfer.
27. 12:02 p.m. S. Hansen D. Chopra R. Sterne - If Norsemen is your thing than you have a Swede and Norwegian to cheer for here.
28. 11:29 a.m. I. Woosnam R. Green S. Ames - I can't say this group offers too much excitement.
29. 11:51 a.m. S. Lyle J. Rollins J. Holmes - Jimmy Rollins plays golf?
30. 9:28 a.m. S. Lowery R. Karlsson N. Dougherty - Not exactly household names.
31. 8:00 a.m. B. Curtis S. Micheel - Well that's a great opening pair...
32. 11:07 a.m. T. Hamilton B. Bateman - They might play in front of crickets.
MY MASTERS PREDICTIONS