Monday, November 24, 2008
Remember this is all about Quality Wins and Bad Losses so if you lose to a top ranked team its not going to kill you, if you lose to Arkansas St. in the opener it will haunt you the entire season.
And there you have it, what was supposed to be a thrilling battle between #2 and #5 turns into an epic beatdown and creates a massive Re-Org in the power rankings.
1. Oklahoma - After the TT throttling, here's why I put the Sooners above the Crimson Tide, quality wins. Losing to Texas on a neutral field is rough, but they are a top 5 team, the Tide have not come close to facing a top 5 team. The Sooners have knocked off their remaining Big 12 schedule, but the most impressive part is that they have two very good out of conference wins. Cincinnati essentially won the Big East this weekend by throttling the Wannies. TCU has positioned themselves as probably the 3rd best non-BCS team behind Utah and Boise St. The Sooners have the wins. Quality Wins: Cincinnati, TCU, Kansas, Nebraska, Texas Tech
2. Texas - So you jumped Oklahoma to 1, what logic do you have for Texas at 2? Does anybody have a better win than Oklahoma on a neutral field? They lost on the road to a top 5 team on the last second of the game. Alabama's wins just don't compel me enough right now to have them over the Longhorns. Quality Wins: Oklahoma(n), Mizzou, Oklahoma St., Kansas
3. Alabama -Simply put Alabama's schedule right now does not match up with the Big 12 teams. The SEC West is pathetic, LSU is miserable and Ole Miss is the 2nd best team in the division. Bama's best out of conference win is against Clemson who is eh. So because of this they are dropped to 3. Quality Wins: @Georgia, @LSU, Ole Miss
4. Florida - Playing the Citadel in your 2nd to last regular season game is just lame. Quality Wins: LSU, UGA(n) Bad Loss: Ole Miss
5. Texas Tech - Losing to a top 5 team on the road usually is never a bad loss, but they were thoroughly embarrassed. They go back to Lubbock praying that the Cowboys upset the Sooners, but even with that result would you pick Texas Tech over USC for the National Title game? Quality Wins: Kansas, Texas, Okie St. Bad Loss: Oklahoma
6. USC - No more big games on the schedule and the Beavers might just win the Pac 10, so its not looking good for the Trojans right now. Quality Wins: Ohio State, Oregon, Cal
7. Utah - Won the Mormon challenge and have solidified their spot in the BCS. Quality Wins: @Air Force, Oregon St., TCU, BYU
8. Penn St. - So they clinched the trip to the Rose Bowl. If the world ends they could find their way to the title game. If the world ends. Quality Wins: Oregon St., @Ohio St., Michigan St.
9. Oklahoma St. - The Mizzou win is still carrying through pretty nicely. Now they get the chance to ruin the Sooners title hopes. Will they? Doubtful. Quality Wins: @Mizzou
10. Cincinnati - I'll throw the Big East some love. Cincinatti's out of conference loss is to the Sooners and they minus one slip up against the Huskies have taken care of business in the Big East. They sneak into the top 11 because the Buckeyes and UGA are highly overrated. Quality Wins: @WVU, Pitt, South Florida Bad Loss: UConn
11. Boise St. -Scratched out the victory against Nevada. Color me unimpressed with the Smurf Turfers. Quality Wins: @Oregon
Dropped Out: Georgia their wins are weak, their losses are to top 5 teams but by utter domination.
Noticeable Absences: Ohio St. will not be ranked in the power rankings at any point this year.