Monday, November 05, 2007
Remember this is all about Quality Wins and Bad Losses so if you lose to a top ranked team its not going to kill you, if you lose to Appalachian St. in the opener it will haunt you the entire season. This season is just a big clusterf*ck, who the hell knows where these teams should be ranked and who exactly is the best of the bunch.
1. Louisiana State -The SEC is a batch of giant confusion. South Carolina looks good and then they can't do anything. Florida looks good then the fall for the 3rd time. LSU garners the top spot because they pummeled VaTech and have beaten the top of the SEC thus far with the exception of UGA. Quality Wins: VaTech, South Carolina, Florida, Auburn, @Alabama
2. Oregon - The Mighty Ducks took care of business and have to be the biggest Michigan supporters on the planet right now. If Michigan can win out that would give OSU one loss and make the Ducks slaughter of the Wolverines that much more impressive. Additionally they will be rooting for the Sun Devils and Trojans to win out as well.Quality Wins: @Michigan, USC, Arizona St., Houston
3. Oklahoma - I'm narrowly going to keep Oklahoma above the Buckeyes. And the margin is based almost solely on the success of Mizzou. The teams the Buckeyes have defeated may be upper echelon of the Big 10, but the Big 10 stinks. Atleast Mizzou knocked off Illinois. Quality Wins: Texas(n), Miami, Missouri, A&M Bad Loss: Colorado
4. Ohio St. - The Buckeyes need to not sleepwalk against the fighting Zookers this week and concentrate on this week before the big Michigan showdown. Run the table and they will be in the title game despite the fact that, unless the pummel the Wolverines, there will be significant evidence that Oregon is a better football team. Quality Wins: Purdon't, @Penn St., Wisconsin
5. Boston College -A tough loss for Matty Ice's Heisman hopes and the ACC's hope for a National Championship. They still should sit high in the rankings after their win over VT but they should expect a lot of residence when they head to Death Valley in two weeks.Quality Wins: Wake Forest, @VT
6. Georgia - The Bulldogs might be the second best team in the SEC this season. The problem? They lost to the Volunteers and no longer control their own destiny in the SEC East. They still have a few testers remaining and must hope that the Fat Fulmer's stumble during their matchups. Quality Wins: (n)Florida, @Bama, Troy
7. Kansas - The Eating Manginos certainly had their fill against the Cornhuskers spitting out 48 first half points against the Pink Shirts. If Kansas could run the table and defeat a 1 loss Mizzou and a 1 loss Oklahoma in the Big 12 title game they should play in the BCS title game.Quality Wins: @Kansas St., @A&M
8. Missouri -Mizzou heads out every week and pummels their competition. Additionally their win over Illinois is shaping out to be a solid one as the Fighting Zookers may be the 3rd best team in that poor conference. Quality Wins: @Illinois, Texas Tech
9. Virginia Tech - I haven't been overly impressed with Virginia Tech this season. They got pummeled by LSU and pulled a New York Jet esque choke against BC, but they did go into Death Valley and smoke Clemson so they have one big win at minimum. Quality Wins: @Clemson
10. Arizona St. -The Sun Devils could not get through their 4 week gauntlet which should come as a surprise to no one. If they can go out and defeat the Bruins this week and the Trojans next week then a BCS bowl bid should be within their grasp. The title game however probably slipped through their fingers this weekend. Quality Wins: Cal
11. Florida -In the never ending SEC swap at 11 the Gators move into the slot. I could have gone with Auburn instead, as they did beat the Gators, however the win over Troy is undervalued by most and they have two other solid wins. Quality Wins: Troy, Tennessee, @Kentucky
Dropped Out: South Florida's storied season is over. Bama's 3rd loss paved the way for the Gators to jump back in.
Noticeable Absences: West Virginia and Uconn can speak to me after they play each other. USC can talk if they beat the Sun Devils. Michigan will join the ranks if they run the table until then the crushing by Oregon and the shocker are too negative to bring them in.
Previous Weeks: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
(n) = neutral field