Skip to main content

Numbers On Steroids: Jay Gibbons

Numbers on Steroids is a look at baseball players during the 90s to see if anything screams out at you.

Todays as good as any day to talk Jay Gibbons. Why? He just got cut.

Averages Say: 2005 Was his best year.
At Bats Per Home Run Says: Up Down Up

Explaining It Away

Gibbons came in as a 25 year old rookie played in 73 games and had some decent numbers. He looked like he might have some potential. Over the next few years his average and obp started to increas while his slugging fell. In 2004 Gibbons was sapped of all his power which could be attributed to injury right? He only played in 97 games. The next year he had his best season with his best career ba, obp and slugging % but the fall off would come steadily over the next two seasons.

The Verdict

Jay Gibbons never really jumped to all star level and I bet maybe three people read this sentence because no one cares about Jay Gibbons careeer, but a las he fell in the Mitchell Report and popped in my head so I wanted to take a peak. His numbers don't really scream at you, but the 2004 fall off is questionable. His pick up in production the next two years kind of squelches that or suggests that he started using HGH and perhaps something undetectable instead.

Well He Did Get Some HGH So...

Comments

Anonymous said…
ok

Popular posts from this blog

M E T S = Mercifully End The Season

Do it before David Wright gets Hurt!

Numbers On Steroids: Mickey Mantle

Numbers on Steroids is a look at baseball players during the 90s to see if anything screams out at you. This week it's throwing a curve ball and looking at All Time Great Yankees. Players that we know did not take steroids to see if this gives a defense to any of the players 'convicted' by Numbers on Steroids. Time to look at my dad's favorite athlete of all time, Mickey Mantle. Averages Say: What's with the mysterious dip at 27 and then the uptick? At Bats Per Home Run Says: That's a mighty jump from 22 to 24 Explaining As If It Was the 90s If you take a look at the numbers there are two time frames which in the 1990s would be questioned. First would be the incredible leap he took from his first year in the big leagues to his first MVP season in 1956. His batting average jumped 50 points. His slugging percentage jumped 90 points and he hit 15 more homers than his previous high. This wouldn't merrit a conviction nowadays though because the young age he...

Guest Post: Thoughts on Sabathia Signing

I asked Grutt what his thoughts were on the Sabathia signing and I thought his response pretty much nailed it. So here it is. I don’t know. Every year I get a little more disenchanted with baseball. Yea, it’s great we signed the top pitching free agent. But we were supposed to. No team was even in the ballpark of the Yankees offer yet they still needed to jump from the already ridiculous price of $140 million to $160 million to close the deal. Now I hear we are going to sign more pitchers who will also get large contracts and the position player gaps are still glaring. Each new, large contract just adds to the feeling that the Yanks are supposed to win it all. “I think we have a good chance this year.” That is a lost feeling. If they don’t win I’ll wonder why, like there has to be some other reason besides that it’s a sport you can never predict how things will work out and some years just aren’t yours to be won. If they win I will be pleasantly smug. It gets a little more...